Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hogan_nj

My dog is a digger

hogan_nj
11 years ago

I have a puppy (1 year old now) that loves to dig,especially if the soil is new topsoil. I am trying to renovate a few small spots in my yard but she won't leave them alone. She's like a magnet for grass seed.

Any suggestions (besides getting rid of her) of what to do? Are there any dog repellents that might work?

I put up a temp fence in an area that is about 100 sqft. Where I am renovating but the other areas are too small.

Comments (5)

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

To stop the digging you first have to discover why the dog is digging. Here are the most common reasons.

1. Seeking your attention.
    2. Bored because he does not know what his job is.
    3. Trying to escape.
    4. Fresh turned dirt because decaying organic matter and fertilizer is a natural attractant to dogs.
    5. Digging a den, especially pregnant females.
    6. To cool or warm themselves.
    7. Terriers and Labradors instinctively are diggers.
    8. They are hunting.
    9. Disposing of food or digging hidden food up.

Sounds like you are #4. Only way to correct it is with consistent negative feedback like whenever your dog starts to dig, spray him with the hose, or swat them on the hind quarters with a rolled up newspaper with a very negative aggressive NO tone in your voice.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

#7 also she is part terrier. She is a hand full. Tearing up carpet,knocking water bowl over. The only thing she doesn't do is mark her spot like my male bulldog does constantly.

Think those green seed covers might help? The biodegradable ones? I have some left over from last year.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

I have no idea about Bio-Degradable seed covers will work or not, never used them before. I have doubts they will work. I do know from experience using something like galvanized chicken, hog, gopher, or hardware fabric wire or fencing puts a stop to digging instantly with cats and dogs. When their claws scrape over the metal will induce pain instantly and stop them in their tracks. Animals and humans alike are easily trained with positive and negative feedback.

• hogan_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great idea.....thanks

• krnuttle
    11 years ago

Our Lab was a digger also. We lived in Wilmington NC where the soil is very sandy. It got so bad that he actually dug under the slab the house was built on.

My solution was to buy some chicken wire fence (The kind with the little wire octagons) and spread it over the area where the dog lived. I carefully staked it down so the stakes did not interfere with the mower. Once the chicken wire fencing was in place I covered it with about an inch of dirt and planted grass on it. The dog stopped digging in the yard.

I have often wonder what the new owner thought if he tried to plant bushes in that area.