Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlenart_gw

dlenart progress Day 18. Your thoughts?

dlenart
16 years ago

So here i am at day 18. The sides of the house look full and am confident will fill in. However the front of the house still has some very sparse/weak areas where the grass didn't come in very well. Don't know that I did anything differently out front except that it gets more sunlight than the sides, maybe it didn't stay as moist? anyway, I sprinkled some more seed in the weak areas. If it doesn't come in within a week should I rake the areas up a bit and plant again? Or do things look normal for day 18 out front and the sides may be further along then expected? I just want to make sure my lawn is established before next spring so I can put down weed pre-emergents vs more seed.

{{gwi:117278}}

{{gwi:117279}}

{{gwi:117280}}

{{gwi:117281}}

{{gwi:117282}}

{{gwi:117283}}

{{gwi:117284}}

{{gwi:117285}}

{{gwi:117286}}

{{gwi:117288}}

Thanks

Comments (24)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

That looks good! Give it ten more days and you won't know the difference. :-)

A light reseeding sure isn't going to be a problem in the blanker areas.

• dlenart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Morph. Yeah I noticed a big difference from Day 18 to day 30 or so in your picutures of your front yard. I did see you had some green areas and brown areas just like mine. Didn't you reseed those areas out front thought? Anyway, I think I was thrown off gaurd by how well the sides of the house were doing. They hardly have any weak areas and thought the front should be the same. I will give it ten more days and see if the front starts to fill in.

• paulinct
    16 years ago

I have purslane like yours. Don't know why, but that stuff creeps me out. Can't wait for it to die off.

• subywu
    16 years ago

Looking good. I do not see any large areas without seedlings so I'd say you are doing fine. It always looks a little patchy at first.

• eastpenna
    16 years ago

dlenart,

That's looking good! I am also on day 18, and have a few thin spots. But if you look real close, or zoom in with a digital camera, you can see that there is some germination going on, they are just a little small as of now. I'm sure that yours is probably the same thing.

Like Morph said I think that I am going to wait, I am in no big hurry to walk across the seed bed just yet. Maybe by day 28 if it still looks thin. Worst case scenario is we have some seed left over for next Spring.

Paul, I also am getting the purslane, and some crabgrass, and a few others that I'm not even sure what they are. And lets not forget the tree rats!

• parafly9
    16 years ago

It looks like you just aren't getting growth yet where your old dead grass is, I'm sure that will happen soon.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

The difference is soil temps between the front and the side of the house. The side is cooler because of less sun.

• dlenart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bestlawn,
    Makes perfect sense. So are you thinking that once soil temps decrease in the front the grass will start germinating? I know there's plenty of seed in those spots! I'm thinking that since I've been watering regulary out front, the seed is still ok just waiting for the right time to poke through? You're thoughts

• eastpenna
    16 years ago

I will add a twist to what bestlawn has mentioned. Most of my front lawn gets sun pretty much all day, it is coming in ok. One section om my front lawn gets the morning to early/mid afternoon sun, then my neighbors tree shades it, this section is coming in the best, hands down.

On my side lawn it gets the afternoon to evening sun, this area is still somewhat thin.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

I'm thinking what you're thinking. And belive it or not, there is no fail so long as there is nothing in the soil to impede germination, like herbicide. Obviously there isn't. Agonize over it, and I know you can't help that, but even if it looks like a failure this fall, you are going to have a full lawn come spring. That's what happened to me, and it was beautiful. But really, I do believe you're going to get much more germination in the next week or so. Don't worry either way.

Just to add a little something you may have missed in previous posts. These new cultivars are not big seed producers. I'm really beginning to wonder what the industry is going to do because many growers are turning over their fields for crops like wheat and corn that yield more and are high priced right now. They're questioning the profitability of growing bluegrass, and it should be interesting to see what develops over the next few years. In addition to sacrificing seed yield in the process of breeding and development, the newbies are also slow starters, or rather slow to fully establish. That's related to seedling vigor, and it's impossible to create ideal conditions since you can't control the elements. All you can do is go with the flow, but there is nothing regrettable in that because you will not be disappointed. It may seem that way initially though.

I wanna tell you what to expect next spring from the grass you planted. Many varieties exhibit late spring greenup, which translates to not having to mow the lawn as early as your neighbors. What is amazing is the noticeable transform from winter color to genetic color. You can see it darken more and more every day until probably the end of April and perhaps into May. You're going to love it!

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

'm really beginning to wonder what the industry is going to do because many growers are turning over their fields for crops like wheat and corn that yield more and are high priced right now.

Raise prices more. Supply exceeds demand, price goes down. That doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon...quite the opposite!

What is amazing is the noticeable transform from winter color to genetic color. You can see it darken more and more every day until probably the end of April and perhaps into May. You're going to love it!

Ooh. Now this is going to be interesting!

I have to admit, I'm wishing the southwestern face would come in. It's hot, sun-beaten, but never dry (not for anything approaching 24 hours, anyway, not for the last 40 days). A little more patience may be necessary. If I were a seed, I wouldn't sprout at 90 degree surface soil temperatures, either.

On the up side, that grass doesn't go down until mid-January when it gets so cold even full sun and sheltered conditions can't hold it any longer.

Now, in addition to our friends slightly north, we just went under a frost watch for Saturday night...about a month earlier than average. Great. Ducky. I'll be watering, too...

• dlenart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK. I'll keep watering it and report back in ten days or so. Temps have been between 68 - 78 around here so I'm thinking the week areas should start shooting through the short dead grass. Thanks for the confidence boost. I owuld have to agree that this KBG takes it's time.

• dlenart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greetings all.
    It's been since last september since I've given an update on my lawn! However it is time to chime in. I wanted to give others who fear rennovation a little boost of encouragement. I say this becuase I was worried last fall about the rate of which the bluegrass was coming in. Let me just say, this stuff takes it sweet old time coming in, but don't give up, keep watering it an nurturing it and in less than 1 year it should pay off for you.

So here is a refresher:
    dlenart KBG blend = equal part Moonlight, Bedazzled and Blue Velvet. Purhcased from Williams Lawn seed.

Fertilizer Plan:
    Planting - August 2007: Mixture of Milorganite and Scotts Starter
    October 2007: Mixture of scotts winterizer and Starter Fertilizer
    March 2008: Scotts Halts with crabgrass preventer and Green Light's broadleaf preventer
    May 2008: two bags of Milorganite
    July 2008: two bags of milorganite

I've also picked up a big spray bottle to Orthos Weed B Gone Max to treat a couple isolated areas of clover. Works real good!

I wish I would have taken pictures in the spring becuase the grass was still real, real thin in many areas. I was real worried. But again, just know that it takes a very, very long time for this stuff to grow! Patience and TLC is in order.

So now it is Mid July and I can't believe my eyes. This stuff is Carpet and i love to mow it especially around 6pm. That's when the sun hits it and it looks dark/blue green, like turftoes pic!

Here's some pics:
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081849c.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081850a.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081850b.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081921a.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081922a.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee144/dlenart25/0713081852a.jpg[/IMG]

Keep in mind that I used the same fertilizer plan and watering plan in my genetically weak lawn in the back yard and the lawn is not even close in thickness and color of this stuff. I am definately thinking about re-doing my back lawn! Also noticed I don't have to water this stuff as much as my old lawn.

So if you are thinking of re-doing your lawn and want to go KBG then just make sure you have patience!

• dlenart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Greetings all.
    It's been since last september since I've given an update on my lawn! However it is time to chime in. I wanted to give others who fear rennovation a little boost of encouragement. I say this becuase I was worried last fall about the rate of which the bluegrass was coming in. Let me just say, this stuff takes it sweet old time coming in, but don't give up, keep watering it an nurturing it and in less than 1 year it should pay off for you.

So here is a refresher:
    dlenart KBG blend = equal part Moonlight, Bedazzled and Blue Velvet. Purhcased from Williams Lawn seed.

Fertilizer Plan:
    Planting - August 2007: Mixture of Milorganite and Scotts Starter
    October 2007: Mixture of scotts winterizer and Starter Fertilizer
    March 2008: Scotts Halts with crabgrass preventer and Green Light's broadleaf preventer
    May 2008: two bags of Milorganite
    July 2008: two bags of milorganite

I've also picked up a big spray bottle to Orthos Weed B Gone Max to treat a couple isolated areas of clover. Works real good!

I wish I would have taken pictures in the spring becuase the grass was still real, real thin in many areas. I was real worried. But again, just know that it takes a very, very long time for this stuff to grow! Patience and TLC is in order.

So now it is Mid July and I can't believe my eyes. This stuff is Carpet and i love to mow it especially around 6pm. That's when the sun hits it and it looks dark/blue green, like turftoes pic!

Here's some pics:

{{gwi:117290}}
    {{gwi:117292}}

{{gwi:100507}}

{{gwi:104849}}

{{gwi:117295}}

{{gwi:100508}}

Keep in mind that I used the same fertilizer plan and watering plan in my genetically weak lawn in the back yard and the lawn is not even close in thickness and color of this stuff. I am definately thinking about re-doing my back lawn! Also noticed I don't have to water this stuff as much as my old lawn.

So if you are thinking of re-doing your lawn and want to go KBG then just make sure you have patience!

• skizot
    15 years ago

Wow, that looks great! Congratulations.

• diclemeg
    15 years ago

Am having a bit of trouble with my newly planted lawn and now wish that I just got sod.... I planted on July 28th, a mixture of 70% moonlight, 20% moonbeam, 10% bedazzled..... after now 17 days, its sparsely coming in, and where its coming in is super thin. The birds are feasting every day on the seeds, too, theres nearly 50 birds a day. I think the trouble started was when just two hours after I planted, but before I threw down peat moss, it rained really really hard for a half an hour, and water didnt drain properly, causing major erosion. Now Im realizing that I wont even be able to use this backyard until spring, b/c supposedly it takes so long.... Why would anyone ever seed themselves if you have to forego more than half a season of use ? Its not worth it. Im wondering if at least I shouldve slit-seeded b/c of the birds.

• philes21
    15 years ago

Can you throw some more seed down? The KBG will come in, but yes, it's slow. We warn everybody. I didn't know either. But it takes 21 to 30 days for full germination. After that it is 'slow to establish'.....just stay off it as much as you can, and keep it moist. But you're still a few days away from the most prolific germination.

And don't puddle. If you float that seed, or that sprout, you've killed it. There's no root to hold it in place, as the root hasn't grown yet, has it? Keep the nozzle moving along, just get it moist and move on. No puddling.

• brizzyintx
    15 years ago

Wow. I would never have guessed it's the same yard. Excellent work.

• eriocaulon
    15 years ago

WOWWEEE!!! Unbelievable work for 1 year! That color is to die for and it is unbelievably dense. KUDOS!

• diclemeg
    15 years ago

hi philes21 and everyone else,
    i think the trouble im having is the raining and it then puddles like you said, alot.. ive thrown more seed down with more topsoil over it in the bare spots, then it rains, and then washes away, it has been very very frustrating. i think the thing i shouldve done was slit-seeding, instead, i used a sod cutter and probably took all the good dirt with it. the strange thing is that had some germination early, in day 4 and thought it'd be good. when i first planted it, it rained hard about two hours later, and eroded everything. i raked it back but didnt have the roller anymore after returning it. then i put alot of peat moss on top... then a week later it rains hard again, and i see many seeds in the peat moss in erosion clumps.

after the 21-30 days, does germination still happen, say in day 60 ? or is it that if its gonna germinate at all, itll happen by day 30ish or wont come in at all. and when do the blades that did come in, spread ?

what would be nice to see are timeline photos of someone establishing their lawn, so i'd know what day 20 should look like, but cannot seem to find any.

does anyone know where someone posted timeline photos of their lawn renovation ?

• philes21
    15 years ago

dicelemeg, I have started a new thread for you, let's discuss it there, rather than here in this thread.

dlenart, GREAT looking lawn.

• dlenart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
    It's bee a tough go of it this summer. Not much rain here in Michigan over the past 4-6 weeks. Lawn is still thick but does appear a bit dry especially around the edges where it is up against the sidewalks and driveways. The sun just heats that cement up and the KBG doesn't like it.

I think I may be losing a spot by the hell strip and my neighbors driveway. He's driven over it once or twice and some weeds are coming in. I'll deal with that in the fall. No weeds to report anywhere else though.

Gotta say this stuff is great! I water my backyard just as much as my front KBG and the KBG is thicker, greener and can go longer without water! Loving this stuff. the rest of the neighborhood has yellow crispy lawns and i have lush green and one minor brown spot.

• paulinct
    15 years ago

Dlenart,

I remember that you were concerned last year, and am so glad to see your awesome results. Elite KBGs may be great grasses, but they are SLOW to establish, as you and I and a bunch of others really appreciate now. Still worth all of the intervening heartache IMHO, as I think you'd agree.

Congrats!

Paul

• dlenart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Definately worth the heartache...