Houzz Logo Print
kevknights

Rainy issue

KevKnights
9 years ago

Background:
Beginner St. Petersburg FL home owner.
Bermuda (assuming 419) lawn.
Milorganite twice in spring, last application was mid June at 1 lb N/1000ft rate.
No chemicals on the lawn since a may weed spray
Push reel mowing at 7/8"
Trimmed the trees to get more sun on the lawn

I have been reading around here for the last year since I bought my home. Started with a weird mix of grass with Bermuda being the most dominant, so I killed off the weeds, Bahia, and mowing low ruined the St Augustine. Followed watering advice using a hose and turbo rotary filling a tuna can in an hour and a half each spot weekly, or not at all when rainy. Now with summer nearing an end it looks way better than it started (much better than any of my neighbors)

However, when we get our typical afternoon rains it will occasionally get so bad that it comes over the bump by the roadside and fills in the grassy parts of the property. This happens maybe 3 or 4 times a month in summer, less in the winter and dry spring months. It is rather shallow, an inch to inch and half at its worst. Thankfully it drains out very quick, the sandy soil sucks it up in a matter of 15-20 minutes. I don't think this is necessarily bad, but I would like to see it not happen. Would I have to do the lawn leveling with sand 3 or 4 times to raise the whole thing, or could that be detrimental to the grass?

Comments (2)