Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass for my sisters house in Arkansas

Posted by botanicalbill 9b SWFlorida (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 12:38

She is in Zone 7b.

It seems that I can plant the cold season grasses and the warm season grasses here.

My question, for the zone, what is the best practice for planing here on clay soil. The hay farmers grow fescue, bahia, bermudia, and zoysia all mixed together. Can empire zoysia survive here? Is there a better varity of zoysia. I focus on the zoysia as they require much less fertilizer than bermuda and fescue and my sister will never fertilize her lawn.

Thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass for my sisters house in Arkansas

If you can help her get it started, then she could grow some of the wheatgrasses that will grow in AR. These are full sun, prairie type grasses which look great (see below) when sowed fairly dense and mowed once a month. They require very little water beyond rain and little to no fertilizer. There are many varieties of wheatgrass and some will not thrive in AR.

Here is a picture of bpgreen's lawn in Salt Lake City. It is a mix of wheatgrasses, blue grama, and strawberry clover.

He doesn't start watering until about June and then only waters about 4 times throughout the season. Mowing is monthly to keep the seed stalks down.

o

Thanks. I will pass that to her as an option. A neighbor just cut hay and it has the seed stalks in it. It is a mix of fescue, bahia, and bermuda. We were thinking of putting an inch layer of this hay down and just let it self germinate next spring. If we were to mix wheat grass seed in this, would you put the seed ontop of the hay or under it?
She has no care of what type of grass she has, she just wants a lawn so the dogs do not track too much dust and mud into the house.

o

Underneath if it isn't too much trouble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here