Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Newly patched area doesn't match

Posted by applegbt SW Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 12:48

I just had an irrigation system installed and took it upon myself to patch the damage that was done by the pipe laying process. The good news is that the grass came in nice and fast. The bad news...it doesn't match.

My lawn is primarily turf type tall fescue. I made the mistake of buying the Pennington Contractor's Mix for my area (SW Ohio) without looking at the actual seed types that were included. The newly patched area using this seed produced grass that is a much lighter shade of green and is growing MUCH faster than the old lawn. Since using that bag I switched to using a tall fescue blend for the remainder of the lawn and it matches perfectly. But the areas that I patched with the contractors mix look terrible due to the higher grass height combined with the lighter color. I suppose there is nothing I can do but kill it off and re-seed, but before going down that path I thought it would be nice to get other opinions.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Newly patched area doesn't match

Here is a link to a photo of what it looks like. You can see the color difference, but what doesn't come across in the photo is that the grass blades are a good 2 inches taller in some areas.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/applegbt/DSCN0180_edit.jpg

o
RE: Help! Newly patched area doesn't match

• Posted by jordanz 8A Mojave Desert (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 14:25

Just give it time. For fesue, it's totally normal to grow super fast when first seeded, then it slows down. When I seeded my lawn, the new seeds are a bright green. After a few months it tones much down to a normal darker green. It'll match by winter I'm sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here