Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_bullseye

Need advice please

TN_Bullseye
10 years ago

I am in the middle of my front yard renovation and mother nature is not cooperating. I put down my grass seed (Bullseye, LS1200, Faith) on Saturday, 8/31. At the time, our temps had been relatively mild for Nashville in August (low 80's). But since then, we have had no rain and temps in the 90's. I have been watering twice a day and it looks like our temps are going to take a nosedive at the end of this week (upper 70's).

Is it possible that the seed I put down will still germinate or have the seeds likely become dried out? I have some more seed I could put down this weekend if there is some question about germination. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• KYgator
    10 years ago

You and I are in the same boat. I put down a TTTF mix on Labor Day and I'm just up the road from you in Louisville. Almost 9 full days removed from seeding and I would say about 25% germination. My seed was top shelf seed too. I've been watering regularly and keeping the soil moist. I did not do a renovation though, just an overseeding of existing turf. I don't see how my seed could have been dried out, so it may just be holding off for cooler temps. 86 degrees is on the upper end of the germination range for TTTF.

Also, in another thread, it was pointed out to me I won't see 80% germination for about 3 weeks after seeding TTTF.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

If you are only watering 2x per day, that might be a problem. You should be watering breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 3 weeks. Water just enough to moisten the soil around the seeds. The soil should not be drenched at this point.

Yes TTTF starts to germinate after 2 weeks of continual moisture. It takes another full week to get to 80%.

The worst thing would be if the seed germinates and then the seedlings dry out and die. That's game over. If the seed does not germinate, then it should come out later when it gets enough moisture for long enough.

• KYgator
    10 years ago

dchall, I saw about 25% of my seed germinate after 7 days. Everything I have read indicates at current temps, germination will take place on the short end of the range, rather than the long end. I will happily publically eat crow here if I am wrong and of course, my lawn will thank you as well. The problem with watering for us is the heat. It's a tough needle to thread. If you don't water often enough and with enough volume, the surface will dry up to a crisp. At the same time, certain areas absorb the water better than others. Compounding the issue for me is a mole problem in my back yard since I have the only wet yard in the whole friggin neighborhood. It's mole heaven right now. In hindsight, I would have been better off seeding this weekend and using less water with the cooler temps. It is what it is.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional