Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Plugging "carpet grass"?

I bought my parents old home 3 years ago, after Dad passed.

I'm sick of the weeds and the natural crab grass in the lawn! It was over-seeded with fescue at one time, many years ago, not much left. I have to cut twice a week if I have rain. I have tried weed and feed with not too good of results.

I plan to spray with 2,4-d this weekend to kill the broad-leaf weeds. And I'm tempted to go with roundup and just start over!

There are 2 patches of unknown "carpet grass" about 10' in diameter that have been there since they bought the place in 1979. They haven't spread much over the years.

The patches are weed free except around the edges and it grows real slow and thick, like carpet. If the yard was completely covered with it and weed free, I wouldn't have to mow but once a month!

Maybe due to weeds and the lack of fertilizer? My Dad only mowed very low, which is bad, and I don't think he ever fertilized it.

Anyway back to subject, I have a plugger, so I can take plugs and move them around. But I have a large area to cover, 1.5+ acres.

Is this a good time of year to plug?

If I post a pic can it be identified so that I can find more seed or plugs?

Comment (1)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Absolutely post a picture. Take pix on cloudy days if you can to reduce the contrast from the sunlight. Also take one looking across the yard and one from about 3 inches above the grass. 3 INCHES, not 30 inches.

Mowing low might have been perfect for your grass. Or it might have been holding it back. From what you've described, I'm not sure what you have that would be weed free with that kind of care.

Are you interested in an organic approach? The way I do it the cost is about the same as chemicals, but you don't have to hassle with what fertilizer to use when and what ratios and do I have to water it in and can I apply in the summer and several other issues that don't come to mind off hand.

General lawn care goes like this:

Watering
    Deep and infrequent. Deep means 1 full inch all at one time. measure how long it takes to apply an inch by setting cat food or tuna cans out in the yard and turning on the sprinklers. Infrequent means once every 3 weeks with temps in the 70s. Once every 2 weeks with temps in the 80s. And once every week with temps in the 90s. Watering like this will give you a strong root system that resists drought. It also helps fight off weeds by not keeping the soil surface moist all the time.

Mowing
    Generally mow high except for bermuda, centipede, and creeping bentgrass. Those should be mowed at the lowest setting. Post a pic of your grass and we can help to identify it.

Fertilizer
    Unless you have bermuda, then you can fertilize once in late May (Memorial Day is good), once in early September (Labor Day), and once in late fall (Thanksgiving is usually good).

If you have broadleaf weeds, spot spray with Weed-B-Gone...unless you have St Augustine (commonly called carpet grass). If you have St Aug, the WBG will kill the St Aug. You have to use something else for that. Send a pic. If you have grassy weeds, either pull those or you could spot spray with RoundUp. That is a tough love approach because the RoundUp is guaranteed to kill the surrounding grass. The benefit is the weed is gone and the surrounding grass should refill the dead spot.

Plugging will probably work and this is a good time. How big would the plugs be? I'm thinking 10x10 inches would be minimum for St Augustine patches. St Aug should spread fast if you give it the right care. I've had excellent success with it covering several thousand square feet in two seasons.