Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnten

Watering new seeding

mnten
13 years ago

I just aerated and overseeded with KBG. The problem I have is I work during the day, and I can only water in the late afternoon. Needless to say, some of the spots that get direct sunlight are dried out before I can water again. I realize this is not good, but I don,t have any options. Did I waste my time and very expensive seed? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• David Moore zone 6a nw new jersey
    13 years ago

You need to water before you go to work, after work and maybe again just before dark.
    In your case, you may need to get some straw to put over the seeds to help keep them moist.
    Some rain will also help if it's not in the form of downpours!
    Good luck!

• pt747
    13 years ago

Straw if heavily seeded areas or run your spreader with peat moss, multiple laps, may need 3-4 bags, depeding on yard size. Peat Moss works great for me when seeding. Straw gives me some weeds, but no big deal. You can kill off the weeds later.

• jrodriguez90
    13 years ago

You can buy a timer that will automatically water for you from Home Depot for about $25. Just set it and forget it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    13 years ago

Agree with jrodriguez90. Get the timer and set it to run every day for 15 minutes at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When you see the grass sprouting, watch it. When it gets up to 4 inches high, it is time to mow and start backing off on the watering. Eventually you want to go to once a month watering in the cool season and once a week during the hottest part of summer.

• jordanz
    13 years ago

Definitely get a timer. I got the orbit 4 valve timer from lowes (which is one of the best for the money). I can water all 4 stations multiple times a day and not even have to think about it!

Like dchall said though, only water 3 times a day until after your first mowing...then gradually work down to once a day...then work towards once a week (or for me in the desert I have to do it 3 times/week when it's 110 out with 10% humidity!).

• hazydavy58
    13 years ago

I've had those timers they speak of, they work well. Now I have a sprinkler system, so it makes it ez.

• Billl
    13 years ago

"Did I waste my time and very expensive seed? "

With your current plan, you haven't wasted your time and money, but you haven't optimized it either. The closer you are to the ideal conditions, the better germination rates you will get. Watering once a day is OK. Watering twice a day is better. Watering 3 times a day is about ideal.

Just a note on first mowing: I wouldn't wait until it is 4" tall. Earlier mowing encourages lateral growth and will help the lawn fill in faster. I'd start around 2" and then work your way up just like you do watering.

• hazydavy58
    13 years ago

Yep, I water 3 times per day. Once in the early morning, once around noon, and once around mid afternoon. This way the seed stays moist overnight, but the existing grass dries off b4 nightfall.

• mnten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, guys for the advice, Yes, I thoughr about the timers,but I have a pretty big area to water, I would have to buy more hose,more sprinklers, etc. So I,m going to take my chances by doing what I,m doing. It,s calling for rain tonight, so that will help.

• drnuke
    13 years ago

I have the same problem as the original poster. My current schedule is to water while the sun is coming up around 7:00-7:30(I have system where I need to move the sprinklers around, so I have to actively do it), then I water when I get home around 5:00. I will let you know how it goes using this method. I know it isn't ideal, but that's all I can really do.

Wish me luck.