Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atekk_gw

What type of seed is best...confused!?

ATekk
12 years ago

So I am a huge fan of researching before taking on a new project or buying an expensive item. I have spent months now researching overseeding and I have to say I am officially on information overload with the amount of different opinions I have read...I need help!

So this is the big overseeding weekend for me. I have the core aerator rented for saturday, have my Lesco seed, Lesco starter, some peat moss, compost, straw and irrigation setup. As far as how to do it I feel I am fully prepared....but...I am swaying on the seed now after reading some more.

I purchased Lesco DoubleEagle PR because of all the positive feedback I have read here and elsewhere however I am starting to sway and want to go to a KBG. I know most people will say to def go with the KBG but my problem is I am having trouble finding a solid KBG seed, no Lesco near me and my local HD just has some small bags of the Scotts water retention KBG that is like 92% inert matter (blah).

My front and backyard pretty much get full sun all day. Am I overreacting? Will the PR be a solid grass choice and give me a nice clean/beautiful lawn (with the proper care) or is KBG that much better? Will planting the PR now let it fully make it through the winter with hopefully only some patch repair next spring?

I need to get it done this weekend as my schedule is packed later and it will also start getting too late into the season before I find another weekend that works.

Thank you all for your help!

Comments (6)

• ATekk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So just found out I have a John Deere close by, gave them a call and they do have the 100% blue in stock. Should I return my PR and go with the 100% blue or go with the Double Eagle Plus which he said is 30% Blue or just stick with the PR.

Im in Northern NJ and I would say 90% of my yard is full sun.

Looks like I now have more options than I thought.

Thanks again!

• Jesse
    12 years ago

I don't have any idea on the PR, but I've heard from other informed people that it is a good grass, if you can get past the gray rot. Some of the newer cultivars are more resistant to it, though.

Many people in your area love KBG. Both types make a beautiful lawn. Keep in mind your application rate on the KBG is going to be much lower then rye, because the seed is smaller.

I personally would recommend KBG, though.

• ATekk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.

Timeco, that was an excellent side by side of the two that really brought everything I have read into perspective. Thank you!

I did my overseeding yesterday...man was that a long day! I ended up going with the PR aside from the recommendations but I have to say that Timeco your explanation definitely made me feel more confident in my decision. I mainly just went with the PR for the faster germination and easier care if I need to patch etc. If necessary I dont even mind doing a light overseeding every fall.

I will post an update on how the lawn is doing once it comes in.

Thanks!

• ericsodt
    9 years ago

So @ATekk, how did it turn out? Do you wish you went with the KBG or were you happy with the PR?

• ATekk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ericsodt

Funny seeing this pop up again. Since I posted this here is what happened...
    - Went with PR seeding in Fall of 2011. Came up insanely quick and did look beautiful all fall. Came up nicely in the spring, with some minor reseeding and dormant seeding in some areas. Problem I ran into in 2012 was just drought resistance (since I don't have an inground system and water by hand) and then had some bad fungus attacks as well. Long and short of it decided to so another reno in fall of 2012.
    - Fall of 2012 planned ahead and went with an Elite KBG mix I custom picked based on the Rutgers ratings for my area in NJ (Bewitched/Award/Bedazzled/Zinfandel). Overall was very impressed and happy with my decision. In its prime it looks amazing, but definitely more finicky in the beginning. Now that I have my regime down with controlling my Summer Patch, my fertilization routine, and overall just best lawn practices down including lots of Milo and tons and tons of leaf mulching in the fall I look forward to and have my fingers crossed this will be my best year so far.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go!