Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overseeded too soon??

Posted by mikeinmo Z6 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 13:57

I live in Mid MO where this past week has been horrible heat, had 104 yesterday. My lawn company aerated and overseeded two weeks ago. I have not seen much new growth at all and I have been watering. Is this week long high heat and humidity going to kill the seeds? Is there a chance it will germinate when this spell is over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overseeded too soon??

Couple of problems. First is when you water a lot when it's hot, you are asking for fungus. However, you have to water frequently for the seeds to sprout. Seeds need water, oxygen, and warmth to sprout. I'd be surprised if they don't sprout due to the heat. If the ground dries out, that may do it, though.

I would keep waiting to see what happens. If you lawn was relatively thick already you may not notice the new seedlings anyways. It also depends on the type of grass. If they planted KBG, you are just now getting to the point where the seeds typically start to sprout. If it's Fescue, that was about a week ago. Even then, all seeds don't sprout at once. It takes a while for all of the seeds that will sprout to come up.

Don't worry about it for now. Keep watering and watch for fungus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here