Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_m_sutton

Will topdressing help ?

jeffrey_m_sutton
9 years ago

I just moved into a newly built house which was sodded with meyer zoysia the first week of July 2014. Unfortunately the landscaper who did the install was not very particular about butting each sod piece next to each other so I have anywhere from one inch to one foot "gaps" between several of the sod pieces (by the way, is there a name for each individual sod piece ?). As a result - even though I'm cutting at 3.5" - I end up with several "scalps" when the mower hits one of these "gaps".

I know the grass will eventually spread, but I'm wondering if topdressing the gaps will help to "level" the yard to reduce my scalping...or will the spreading of the zoysia eventually take care of this (my concern is the 1 inch of top soil which "came with the sod" will always be "higher" than the "gaps")? If I do topdress, are there any particular recommendations for what material to use ? The landscaper says he's be told (which makes me think he doesn't know) that builder's sand would be the best choice. Also, if I do topdress can I do it now (September) or should I wait until the spring ?

Thanks in advance for the help !

Jeff

Comment (1)