Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseyc3_gw

Best Fescue seed for Raleigh?

caseyc3
15 years ago

I've got another thread going where I'm asking for advice but it doesn't seem to be getting many bites, so I think I'm leaning toward overseeding. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a brand or mix of Fescue seed and where I could purchase some....

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• soccer_dad
    15 years ago

Last year (Fall '07) I reseeded with Lesco Transition. This year I used Trigold certified seed from Lesco/John Deere Landscapes. Both were 0% weed seed. The Transition seed germinated well and had good winter color. I'm experimenting some this fall with a better soil prep, adding TTPR (50/50 mix), and twice the seeding rate.

• auteck
    15 years ago

Hey dude, sorry, I've been so busy at work and now I'm also busy working in my yard in preparation for seeding...

Go to Southern Seeds in Middlesex, NC. Ask for Kevin Sharpe and tell him Xavier refered you. They have all the Bluegrasses, Ryegrass, Fescues, Fine Fescues, Bentgrasses, all the grasses you can possibly grow in stock.

I wouldn't grow fescue unless you abosolutely like its looks and performance. Up in Wake Forest, your night time temperatures during the winter are in the mid 20's, which means your soil does not warm up as quick. You can grow Kentucky Bluegrass or Perennial Ryegrass if you want, but don't expect miracles. Bluegrasses and Ryegrasses need water and fertilizer just like Fescue. In my experience, PRG wins every other grass in the Raleigh area performance-wise. It might die in patches like fescue if you don't water it, but when conditions are ideal; which is most of the year, it looks as good as a Ferrari in a showroom - superb.

They have a Kentucky Bluegrass blend that has Midnight Star, Prosperity, and Moonlight I think. They also have Trifecta PRG and Quicksilver (great for our area) Click on their web site below:

I just picked up today (3) 50lbs bags of Grey Hawk PRG Blend from Southern Seeds. I paid $1.25 per lbs plus tax.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Xavier

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Bluegrass, PRG, and Fescue

• jimtnc
    15 years ago

Here's also a link to NCSU's lawn guide that has this area's recommended varieties. It's a pretty good info package.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• dukernc
    15 years ago

I'm also located in Wake Forest and have had very good results with Pennington and Kentucky-31 fesue seed. Be sure to prep your yard. Good Luck!

Dukernc

• auteck
    13 years ago

Old thread, but I have to make the correction:

Kentucky-31 is Pasture grass and should NOT be used as a Turfgrass. Stay away from K-31. It is a VERY old cultivar (more than 50 years old) that has no place in a home yard. Usually the bags of K-31 come with Orchardgrass and many other weeds you don't want in your lawn.

Kentucky Bluegrass is another story. This is a thru Turfgrass, and it is what is recommended.

Do not confuse the two, as they are very different.