Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilio24_gw

3 week old el toro zoysia sod turning brown

Emilio24
9 years ago

Help! Had four pallets of el toro zoysia thrown down three weeks ago. As of three days ago I've noticed a brown and dry patch that is about 10x10. My first initial reaction was that it lacked water, I immediately started watering throughly twice a day in the morning and afternoon. This morning a few mushrooms popped up and the sod doesn't seem to be getting any better. With the upper ninety degree heat in Tallahassee, I doubt I could be overwatering but with the thunderstorms and rain lately it's my best belief that the soil is most and adequately watered. I stick a screwdriver and it goes all the way through easily . This is my first time throwing down sod, all comments and feedback appreciated!

Comments (3)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

You should have been keeping the sod moist by watering it LIGHTLY, three times per day, for the first 3 weeks after putting the sod down. It doesn't sound like you were doing that.

Regardless, it sounds like it's wet enough now. Zoysia has a fatal flaw in my book. When it goes bad, it doesn't seem to matter what month it went bad, it remains dead looking for the remainder of the season. Then in April (or March for you in FL), it finally comes back like nothing ever happened. So whether your problem was too much water or not enough water, the grass is likely to be "dormant" for the rest of the year.

Can you lift any of the squares of sod or are they all knitted down to the soil by new roots?

Did you get watering instructions from the sod installer? If so, what were they?

Have you measured the output of your sprinklers? You can do that by timing how long it takes your sprinklers to fill several cat food or tuna cans placed around the yard. My sprinkler takes 8 hours to fill the cans. My neighbor's high flow system takes 20 minutes. It all depends on YOUR system. Once you have that time, that will become the time you water every time you need to water. It might seem like a long time to water but you're not going to do it very often. For example I did not water my Texas desert lawn until mid July this year. Why? Because the roots on my lawn were deep enough to capture deeeeeeep water from the occasional rain we got. But my yard might have been an exception for other reasons.

Here's the basic watering plan for the US (except for the triangle from Green River, UT down to Palm Springs, CA over to Junction, TX). Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means a full inch at a time. Infrequently means with temps in the 90s or above, once per week. With temps in the 80s, once every 2 weeks. With temps in the 70s, once every 3 weeks. What this does is develop very deep roots which can take advantage of every rain storm for a good long time. It also allows the soil to dry out completely at the surface which prevents new weed seeds from sprouting. Proper watering is quite often the last correction people need to make to get their lawn to the next level of perfection and stop using herbicides to kill weeds.

Why did you pick zoysia instead of the more normal bermuda or St Augustine?

• Emilio24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked out eltoro zoysia because of consistency, the previous owner had laid two pallets prior to selling me the house. The sod is knitted, I was able to lift a corner but had resistance. I did not get watering instructions. Every morning I would wake up and set and oscillting sprinkler for a few hours to each section and then in the afternoon I would do set the sprinkler for half the time. If a thunderstorm rolled by, I wouldn't water that day. After the second week, I would only water once a day in the morning. I'd been checking the moisture of the soil with a screwdriver and it's always been easily pushed through and moist. Thanks for the help!

• Emilio24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't set cans out to measure the output from the sprinkler. Will do that and get back to you.