Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygator_gw

Log of my first overseed

KYgator
10 years ago

I live in north central Kentucky. I've been waiting patiently to initiate my overseeding project. Because of job constraints, I went ahead and planned it for Labor Day. I seeded with a 5 cultivar tall fescue blend I ordered from Arrow Seed Co in Nebraska. (per a recommendation I read on this site way back when) The seed was pricey, but I feel well worth it. Today is day two, overseeding took place about 24 hours ago.

Below is a pic taken of the back yard today. As you can see, the existing turf has been scalped down to about an inch and a half, lots of bare spots. Not as many bare spots in the front, however. After scalping and bagging the clippings, I went over the entire lawn with a starter fertilizer. The soil was already damp from heavy rain storms on Saturday, so I didn't see a need to pre-water. Started up the overseeder. I went in straight lines on the first pass, and at a 45 degree angle for the second pass. Dropped 4 lbs of seed per 1,000 square feet each pass.

I also rented a lawn roller and after seeding both passes, I went over the entire lawn with it once and it seemed to do well in compacting the soil nicely. The next step was to set up my sprinklers. One tripod for the front, one for the back. These are Melnor brand. On the sides of my home, I have about an 8 feet wide stretch of turf, so I used Melnor spike sprinklers. I have two water spickets, one on each side of the home. I setup dual hose spicket timers on each side in order to program all four sprinklers. This appears to have actually worked out masterfully. I have about an 1/8th of an acre of turf. First watering began last evening. I have the two tripod spinklers on a 360 rotation. Currently set to run every 6 hours for 30 minutes. I figure I will probably dial that back if I begin to see any evidence of sogginess. Thus far, I don't see that at all.

The weather forecast for the next week calls for zero rain and highs in the low to mid 80's. With lows ranging from the upper 50's to mid 60's. Next weekend it may hit 90 again, but hopefully that won't hold on for long. Obviously, I have the sprinkler apparatus in place to keep the soil damp at all times. I will keep this log updated. I would appreciate any thoughts, questions or concerns. Thanks to all who have contributed their info to this site. It was of great help.

Comments (19)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

What was the manufacturer and name of the power seedr that you used?

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up renting the Classen TS-20 at Home Depot. They're close-by and I managed to get everything done inside a four hour window, which limited my out-of-pocket. It has a bucket in front which holds the seed. The seed drops from the bucket and then the machine cuts narrow slits in the ground about an inch and a half or so apart as you roll it. The slits can be dug in as low as an inch into the ground, but if you go that far into the dirt, the machine has some pull and will take off real quick. The depth is adjustable, as is the amount of seed you are dropping. I honestly think the best move I made is renting the lawn roller. $12 and it patted down a lot of the looser dirt real nicely.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to following your blog. How deep to set the powerseeder for your lawn?

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe the slits were cut about a half-inch to 3/4's of an inch into the ground on average. I had already power raked my lawn in May of this year and switched over to a Honda HRX quadra-cut mower after this, which limited the thatch in the ground quite a bit. The only thing I didn't do that I have seen recommended is a soil test and a thin layer of topsoil to dress the seeds. I think the soil is in good shape. Has a rich coloration and I used a good starter fertilizer yesterday. I had also fertilized in late spring after the power raking.

My chief concern at this point are the daytime temperatures which may reach 90 a few more times this month. Hopefully, a damp soil will negate this as I have read maximum temperature for germination is 86 F for tall fescue.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A pic of the front yard today.

This post was edited by KYgator on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 18:44

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 3- Temps are forecast in the low 80's today after dipping into the upper 50's last night. Ground is pretty wet, but no puddling. I have already dialed back the watering of the front. Still going every 6 hours, but only 15 minutes at a time now as the front lawn is not large. Will likely step down to 10 minutes every 6 hours tomorrow. Because the 7-day forecast continues showing no chance for rain and highs heading for the upper 80's on Sunday, I wanted to saturate the ground well to prevent any chance of seed drying up. By all means, please provide feedback. This is a 1st endeavor for me and considering the money/time spent, I don't want to mess it up.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Sounds like you really did your homework on this. Finding Arrow!!! DUDE! You really do get what you pay for with seed.

Watch the watering. You do not need any depth to the moisture in the soil. It needs to be moist right at the surface where the seed is. That's all. It would be a shame to rot out the new roots with too much water initially.

Your temps are fine. Now is the time to do this.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the props, dchall. I cut the watering in half after the first day. I might take it down to 10 minutes every six hours for the front and back lawns. Trying to leave the right amount of moisture on the surface isn't as easy as it seems. The temps are not scorching hot, but on the high end of the range we want to be in and mother nature isn't chipping in with any rain at all. Day 4- temps are forecast to reach the mid 80's today. No rain in the forecast for the next 5 days.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 5 - tapered the watering a smidge. Still going every 6 hours. 12 minutes in the front yard (less area to cover), 14 minutes in the back. Forecast today is sunny skies and highs in the mid 80's. Main area of concern is the next few days, as the forecast is mainly dry with highs in the upper 80's, with next Tuesday lower 90's being predicted. Obviously, keeping the ground wet the next few days is imperative as 86 degrees for germination is the upper end of the range for TTTF. I realize this is soil temp and the actual soil temp may only reach this for a couple of hours at most, but still a concern. This seed was not cheap.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 6 (09/07/2013)- noticed first germination in selected spots. Big concern are rising temperatures in the Ohio Valley. Temperatures are expected to hit the upper 80's Sunday and lower 90's from Monday through Wednesday. Still watering every 6 hours. Soil moisture appears to be adequate, but no puddles or sogginess. This is "Day 6" of my blog, but still less than 5 full days after seeding. I thought I might see some early germination given the warm temperatures. However, with tall fescue, I understand the normal germination time frame is from 7-14 days.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

You should be good. The moisture evaporating helps keep the soil temp cooler.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 7 (09/08/2013) - More early germination in select patches. Interestingly enough, the areas I am seeing germination would figure to have received a bit less watering than areas I am not seeing as much. Also, the thinly sliced divots in the dirt with the overseeder are seeing more early germination, whereas the rolled soil is not seeing as much. It is still less than six full 24 hour days since overseeding. I will post a photo below showing some of the germination.

Biggest concern is still the heat expected from this afternoon (currently 87 degrees and sunny) through Wednesday as highs are expected to reach the lower 90's without rain in the forecast. I will keep the soil damp and hope the minor heat wave will not stunt or damage the process. Next Friday a front is moving in that will cool high temps to the upper 70's for all of next weekend. By then, hopefully, I will have tapered the watering to about half of current levels and I can relax a bit.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dchall, I suppose one of the advantages of seeding this time of year is even if it does get hot for a few days, the days are shorter which impacts the amount of direct sunlight on the soil. I'm probably overanalyzing, but after managing a lawn all summer that hasn't been seeded or treated in over 15 years preceeding, I am eager to get some results.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(09/09/2013) - Seeing germination, but only about 20% of the area seeded appears to have germinated at this point. It has been almost 7 full days since seeding. With soil temps hovering in the lower 80's, should I be seeing more germination by this point?

Highs hitting the lower 90's today through Wednesday. Keeping the soil wet.. hoping for the best.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Tall fescue takes about 2 weeks to see significant germination. It could be 3 weeks to get 80%.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(9/10/2013) - More germination observed this morning. Filling in nicely in certain areas. Areas with more pre-existing grass than dirt don't seem to be filling in as well. Perhaps it is an it's being blocked by the grass, but I think that's the case. Probably having more trouble rooting in those areas I would assume. Some areas with lots of dirt are sprouting small weeds. Coming up on 8 days since seeding. Highs still forecast in the lower 90's for today. Had to increase watering in the front lawn last night as I noticed the top layer of soil had dried out in some spots. The heat is making this a challenge. After Wednesday, we'll get a big break from the heat and I would be surprised to see temps in the 90's again this year.

D_chall.. if this is a preview of what I will be like by next Monday, I think I will be very pleased with my results. Still too early to take it to the bank. Fingers crossed the heat the next two days doesn't kill any new grass.

• weigojmi
    10 years ago

Nice thread and good luck.

Curious how full you filled the roller? I only filled it half way last year based on some advice but thinking more may be better this year. The thing is not easy to push around for a tall guy I must add...

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. We filled the roller up completely. I think the guy at Home Depot said it gets up to 300 lbs once completely filled. It didn't seem to overly bulky or imposing on the turf. I am tall as well, but it wasn't bad.. a good workout.

• KYgator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

9/11/13 - Germination is filling in, but I still have areas that were essentially all dirt seeing about 25% germination. It also appears the shadier areas of the lawn are getting more germination. I sprayed a weed killer in some of the bare patches about 5 weeks before seeding. Fingers crossed that's not hindering the growth. My guess is the hot temperatures and lack of shade. Ground moisture has been consistent.