Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown spots in new sod

Posted by fahne23 Southern California (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 15:04

Hello, hoping to get some help here. I just had about 800 square feet of sod installed about 3 weeks ago in Southern California, Pasadena to be exact. Our gardener suggested Marathon II sod, due to the mostly sunny location. He set the new timer to water 3 times a day in order to spread the roots. It is now set to water just twice a day. The weather has been in the 90's the past couple of weeks, and most of the lawn still looks good except for a corner that is turning brown. I did notice mushrooms growing and was concerned about overwatering but figured that it was necessary for root growth.

Attached is a photo to show the area. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown spots in new sod

Not being familiar with the type I look it up on Google. There is a good article on this type of grass and sod.

Seems the installer knows something about how to care for this particular type and you should read further on how to care for it in coming weeks.

As far as brown spots, it might be nothing but that area needing a bit more moisture given to it.
Mushrooms appearing suggests there was something buried there...such as a tree root, or some wood --maybe from recent construction, or some other reason why wood is in that particular spot. Anyway, its nothing to be concerned about....its just something good breaking down and the mushroom is the fruit of the composted material.

The article also suggests when you should fertilize and when to mow your new lawn.

o
RE: Brown spots in new sod

Thank you for mentioning Pasadena. Most people think SoCal, or LA, is all one place. But it also includes Palm Springs, San Diego, and Big Bear Lake.

Since you had a pro install it and this happened, I'd call him out to look at it and ask him to readjust the timer. If he's legit he will replace the dead grass. It will be interesting to see what he does. But dead sod is not right. Mushrooms in one place is not right. It indicates something different about the soil. It could be a low spot where the yard drains causing a disease. Marathon II is good stuff, especially in Pasadena and in full sun. If they can grow it successfully in Indio, you can do it where you are. You will use a lot less water than they do out in the heat.

Your timer should be reset to water once per week and water a long time. It should water a full inch and then turn off. Actually this time of year it might be once every 2-3 weeks. But the norm in SoCal (everywhere) is to over water on a daily basis. If your guy sets you up for daily water, then you can ignore everything he tells you. The best lawns are watered deeply and infrequently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here