Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

my 2nd lawn renovation

v1rt
10 years ago

Hey guys,

Just want to share with you my 2nd lawn renovation. First was back in 2009. I used Emblem, Boutique, Blueberry and Bewitched kbg seeds. This time, I used Midnight, Boutique and Prosperity. I am not sure how it's going to perform. My 2009 lawn is doing very well.

Here is my 2013 lawn renovation. I dropped the seeds 2 days ago. This is a video of how I am watering them via my home security/automation system.

2013 Lawn Renovation

My 2009 lawn reno as of June 12, 2013.

My 2009 lawn reno as of June 13, 2013.

Comments (7)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Very nice.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

So I guess you're happy with the 2009 results. I'd be ecstatic!! Can I ask a few questions? I'm always trying to learn. You don't have to give me back the answer's I'm looking for. My advice can always use a tune up.

How are you watering the 2009 lawn? (frequency and duration throughout the season)
    How are you fertilizing? (organic or chemical or mix and when)
    Do you use herbicide or insecticide to keep it looking like that?
    How high are you mowing?

Regarding this new reno:
    I LOVE the poor man's watering system attached from the faucet, through the underground valves, and back to hoses!! It looks complicated, but its really simple when you think about it. And you can unscrew it and put it away in the winter. Great! What I don't like is the antiquated method and syntax for programming it. I hate that in programmable thermostats, too. Even my new $250 Honeywell thermostat only offers limited options. Why can't you program it like you would set up appointments in a calendar?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey dchall,

In case you don't remember anymore, you've helped me many times around 2006-2008 here in this same lawn forum. I won't forget you. :)

So I guess you're happy with the 2009 results. I'd be ecstatic!! Can I ask a few questions? I'm always trying to learn. You don't have to give me back the answer's I'm looking for. My advice can always use a tune up.

Yes sir, I'm very happy with my 2009 renovation. :)

How are you watering the 2009 lawn? (frequency and duration throughout the season) How are you fertilizing? (organic or chemical or mix and when)

In 2010, if I still remember it correctly, I watered it starting May like twice a week and deeply. That means, each sprinkler would water one area for like 1 hr in the morning and another 1 in the early evening. The frequency increased when it entered July and especially August. I think I was watering it like 3-4 times a week. I didn't want it to sleep since it was very young. I also went back putting soy bean meal. During the first few months, I used synthetic fertilizer.

However, this year, I've only watered it like 3 or 4 times. I did the same as last year. Leaving the blades at 6" helps cool down the dirt a lot! :) Also, I read that when blades are long, the roots are also long.

Do you use herbicide or insecticide to keep it looking like that? How high are you mowing?

Yes, I use herbicide to kill weeds. However, since because it's so thick, weed seeds are having a hard time germinating. For this year, I think it only had 5 weeds.

I started mowing around May. I don't bag the clippings. I also seldom mow. I let it grow to about 5 inches. That's when I noticed my grass becomes so drought tolerant. I think I have only mowed my lawn 4 or 5 times for this year. Mower's setting is at the highest.

Why can't you program it like you would set up appointments in a calendar?

Honestly, I've only used this sprinkler during my 2009 renovation and again my renovation right now. That can tell that I don't water a lot. As long as I let it stay at 6", it will stay dark green and thick even during the hottest day of July/August. I can see my neighbor's lawn going dormant while mine is still very alive. Of course, I give it water too if the forecast will be above 95f for straight week.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Yes I absolutely remember you. I don't remember your details and I don't know what you ended up doing after all was said and done. So I wanted to catch up and find out what you did that worked. Plus it's just nice to have the occasional testimonial about what really works. I try to stay on top of that. I occasionally remind myself that none of the advice I give is what I learned in my 50 years prior to 2002. I had to unlearn all my prior lawn experience to get to this point.

So to summarize...
    Deep and infrequent watering.
    Mulch mowing at the highest setting.
    Occasional herbicide and that is seldom needed if you are watering and mowing right.

It really is pretty simple.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You forgot the organic feeding. I also put soy bean meal. I think I put twice (May and late June), each 50 lbs bag per 3,000 sqft. Maybe it's not enough but my lawn likes it a lot.

Sometimes I put milorganite but I haven't put one this year. Also I forgot to mention that around November, when I notice that the grass is barely growing, I will spread urea. That's the last thing I do to my lawn.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Thanks again for sharing your success.

...and that DIY sprinkler

• v1rt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are very welcome sir! :)