Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dprecourt

Liming myths and questions

dprecourt
11 years ago

I got a soil test report back and it recommends the common very-high application rate of lime, 50-100 lbs / 1000 sq ft.

I have been researching how much and what type of lime I should be applying, and have run across some conflicting information that I wanted to discuss here.

1. I have read things like: "Calcitic lime is actually cheaper than dolomite when you factor in its effectiveness. Less calcitic lime has to be applied than dolomite to get the same result".

This doesn't make sense to me. Per the below two links, dolomite lime actually has a HIGHER CCE than calcitic lime due to the lower atomic weight of Mg compared to Ca. So, ignoring the fact that dolomite lime will also raise your Mg levels, it doesn't make sense to me when people say that calcitic lime can be applied at a lower rate than dolomite to get the same results. Thoughts?

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/452/452-510/452-510.html

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/CIS/CIS0787.pdf

2. I have read things like: "The 50-100 lbs / 1000 sq ft recommendations from soil test reports are for "cheap" dolomite lime. You never want to apply that much calcitic lime at once. Calcitic lime should only be applied at a max of 9-10 lbs / 1000 sq ft at one time."

Due to dolomite lime having a higher CCE than calcitic, this also doesn't make sense to me. If it's okay to apply 50 lbs of dolomite at once, why is it not okay to apply that much calcitic at once? Where does the maximum 9-10 lbs of calcitic lime recommendation come from that I've read here on this forum? Is it because the actual calcium carbonate content of calcitic lime is higher than that of dolomite? Why does this matter, even though the CCE is actually lower in calcitic vs. dolomite?

I studied the label up and down for Pennington's "fast acting" lime, which is a calcitic lime, and it doesn't mention anything about a maximum application rate. It does provide "recommended" rates based on your current pH, and the highest rate in this list of recommendations is 24 lbs / 1000 sq ft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (2)