Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadow1976_gw

What is this weed in my lawn?

shadow1976
10 years ago

AsHi all. Does anyone know what this weed is? Its growing all around the edge of my yard. Crabbgrass killer (spray) doesnt kill it.

Comments (22)

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all. Does anyone know what this weed may be? Its all around mt lawn and it cant be killed with any kind of crabbgrass killer. Thanks

• KYgator
    10 years ago

Looks like crabgrass to me, but I could be wrong. My experience has been that all crabgrass killers are NOT created equally.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to get some better pics this evening. On some of the bigger plants the leaves are as much as an inch wide by 2 inches long. The leaves are very thick unlike any grass that ive seen.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was able to find one that was mature enough to have gone to seed and here is a pic of it. Any ideas? Thanks.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was able to find one that was mature enough to have gone to seed and here is a pic of it. Any ideas? Thanks.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one more pic. Sorry about posting 3 of the same posts above. Im using my phone and i didnt think they weny through.

• ed1315
    10 years ago

Shadow: I'd say you stumped all the forum bosses! I don't know what it is but try spraying vinegar on it.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

It's only been a couple hours. Give the folks a chance to look at it, look at it, look at it, look at it.

I don't recognize it but having the seed really helps. Many grasses look alike but their seeds distinguish them immediately.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never seen any of this in the 6 years that ive been here until last year. I had never seen one go to seed until i found the one this morning which is in the second pic. It was growing right next to a big oak tree where almost nothing else will grow. This stuff seems to like dry shady spots. Last year there was

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry bout that dchall. I kept trying to post the pic and i was getting an error message. I thought the last one was the only one that went through.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry bout that dchall. I kept trying to post the pic and i was getting an error message. I thought the last one was the only one that went through.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every time i come back to this message board, my last post gets posted again as a new post.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every time i come back to this message board, my last post gets posted again as a new post.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry folks. I dont know why it keeps reposting like this. I made the last post last night. I came back this morning to see if anyone replied, and it posted that message again. Im not doing it on purpose . I may need to join a how to use a phone forum. Please bare with me.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

'Please bare with me.'

Does this look like a nudist colony to you? :)

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha. I had a feeling i got that wrong. I sure didnt have a bear with me.

Anyway, do i need to take more pics of this weed or does anyone know? Ive been all over google but found nothing that looks like it.

The only other place where i have seen this is at local golf course.
    This is where my next door neighbor works. Ive never met the guy, but some of the other neighbors that come to his place for bbqs have been seen trespassing many times. They have also stole deer stands, and knocked down several small trees while trespassing on fourwheelers. There have been many times when i stepped out into to the yard and they unloaded 20 plus rounds from their gun. Theres a long list of things they have done to try to get rid of me. There are too many to list.
    The mans wife works at flower shop/ nursery. They definately know a thing or two about grass and plants. Anyway, with the history of what has happened here and this factor, it makes me wonder. They know i enjoy working in the yard and garden.
    This weed is found most of the time growing in clusters with a purple leafed clover like weed, and a lot of areas have a crabgrass type weed growing with it. Ive tried spraying with crabbgrass/weed killer but it doesnt even slow any of this down. In fact, the last time i sprayed,, it killed the bermuda but not the weeds. Maybe im just paranoid or crazy, but i thought it may be worth pointing out these facts.

This post was edited by shadow1976 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 12:12

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

If grass killer doesn't work, you might try a broadleaf weed killer like Weed-B-Gone. Or you might have to go to a 'tough love' approach. Since you have already killed the surrounding bermuda, RoundUp won't be any worse. And it should kill that plant. When you get the leaves of that plant wet, does the water bead up and roll off? If so then you might need to put a few drops of soap in whatever you spray it with so it will stick to the weed.

• shadow1976
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The spray doesnt bead up on this one. There is a variety of crabgrass in the yard where it does bead up and roll off. Is the soap safe to use on bermuda? How much should i use per gallon?

• kidhorn
    10 years ago
  • dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Soap is safe on all grass.

Use enough soap so the moisture sticks to the leaves and doesn't bead up and roll off.