Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yourlocalpoet_gw

Fungal disease?

Yourlocalpoet
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for advice about my lawn.

The turf is about 3 months old, I moved into a new build property and I'm pretty confident there is all sorts under the soil as since I've started gardening I've dug up bricks, stones, glass, bits of construction material and the rest.

Recently, I've started noticing mushrooms appearing in the lawn. At first there were a few but everyday now there seems to be more and more. I pick them daily to stop spores from being released and spreading but I want to know what the problem is.

I've done a bit of research, but to be honest I'm a novice to proper gardening. My lawn could be too wet, (I live in the UK and have been experiencing lots of rain and dew. This morning there were filmy like wet web patches on the lawn in addition to the mushrooms.

I have geraniums, grape vine, sainforth, tufted vetch, dandelions, pansies, hosta, Timothy grass, chicory, clover and a whole host of other weeds and wild flowers growing in 1/3 of the lawn which is fenced off from the rest. The only fertiliser I've ever used are worm castings in order to get rid of white fly on my grape vine. I am also using coco coir mixed with soil in parts I have dug out to grow weeds.

I'm not crazy. I have an 11 year old, 14lb tortoise that's lives in this part of the garden in the summer and the weeds and plants here are her food and shelter. As a result, I cannot use any kind of pesticide or chemicals on any part of the fenced off enclosure or the main lawn.

The mushrooms didn't appear in her part of the garden until a few days ago, which makes me wonder if it is the climate and not a disease as I first thought.

Due to the lack of care from the builders who laid the lawn, it is not level, and when mowed, parts of the lawn were far too short. Some of the lawn is browning/yellowing slightly but most of it is a strong green colour.

I'm worried about my tortoise eating the grass now if the lawn has a disease, I'm not really concerned about the unsightly aspect of the mushrooms. I do understand that they are a product of something, not a problem themselves but I don't know if it's the soil or what.

I have been trying to aerate the lawn today and the soil is hard and but very moist.

Any help on what I can do and what the problem might be would be amazing.

Thanks so much.
Ps. I have attached a photo of part of the grass in question, tortoise included. :)

Comments (3)