Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over seed and aerate order?

Posted by barrybud PA 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 16:25

Hi,

Might be a lame question, but which do you do first? I use a coring aerator if that matters.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over seed and aerate order?

Aerate, then overseed. Aerating makes lots of holes for the seed to fall in and also puts those plugs of soil on top and the seeds can also grow in that.

o
RE: Over seed and aerate order?

1. Mow first on a short setting and bag the grass.
2. Aerate (make sure ground is not wet, but not dry either)
3. Then mow again and mulch those soil cores into the ground.
4. Then seed, then water.

Mowing short helps allow the seeds to get down to the soil where they need to be, not stuck in the grass. My toro has five settings, for overseeding I like to mow on the second lowest. Some people like to mow on the lowest setting but I think it's too stressfull for your existing lawn for an overseeding project.

When you aerate, go over the lawn twice in a criss cross pattern, a third time if you have time is even better. You need a bunch of these open holes to receive the seeds you'll sew. Finally, and most importantly, keep the seeds moist by watering twice a day. If you miss just one day, a good percentage of the seeds won't germinate. If temps are over 80, or it's windy and dry, you'll likely need to water three times daily.(seems unlikely in PA this time of year) You should see some germination after 5-10 days unless you're seeding K. Blue, that can take up to 3 weeks. You can go to watering once/day after the seedlings are about a week/ten days old. Good luck!

PS Very important..Buy the best seed available..it makes a big difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here