Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammyq2

New lawn started year great, now crabgrass

sammyq2
10 years ago

Here is my background post from last year. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg081332221957.html

I started a new lawn last year, planting it on Labor day. I had limed it a month or two ahead. The fall rains were just right and everything came up roses.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but over the winter, a friend have me a bunch of brown lime that had been soaked then hardened in the bag. It sat in the elements for a couple of years. I dried the stuff out then went at it with a hammer to try and get out the lumps. Turns out, no way would it work in my Scotts spreader, so this spring I scattered it around by hand. Of course my application was uneven.

The lawn started nice and green, we had nice rains this spring. When things started to dry out some brown spots started showing up here and there. The spots started where a tree had been cut down and started with a pattern of the roots. This area gets a lot of sun. In the south exposure there is more shade and the grass has done much better.

The past two months it's been pretty dry (I haven't watered) and now big crabgrass has taken over parts of the yard. A lot of the grass is also brown, but I figured it was going dormant and would revive next year, or if it ever starts raining again.

How can I make this better? Use a crabgrass killer now?

Open to suggestions.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabgrass & Spots photo

Comments (4)