Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
budfox_gw

Newly sodded Zoysia infested with armyworms

budfox
9 years ago

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Last November (2013) we closed on our brand new home in Charlotte NC. We had the landscaper install irrigation with zoysia sod.

Our lot is TINY: 50' x 150', with a 1500 sf footprint of a house.

Since we installed irrigation, the landscaper warranted his work. Unfortunately we had a really COLD winter in NC and the sod didn't take root. The front lawn was completely shot. The back yard was almost as bad.

I was told once the spring/summer came the grass would come out of dormancy and would flourish- which it didn't.

The landscaper said the warranty was to keep treating the lawn with applications. By late June the grass looked no better than it did in April.

To entice the landscaper to get motivated, I told him we would hire him to install additional plants and shrubs- if he'd resod the lawn. I got my builder involved and he "forced" the landscaper to resod the front lawn and make sure he keeps working on the back with ongoing treatments.

In mid July (5 weeks ago) they resodded the front lawn with zoysia and it looked fantastic. Then last week I noticed a few brown spots. Then 3 days ago the spots multiplied and I emailed the builder and landscaper with pictures.

The landscaper called me immediately and told me to pour a bucket of soapy water on the affected grass... and up came armyworms. I applied Sevin to the entire lawn, as instructed by the landscaper.

So only after 5 weeks my front lawn is shot.

My questions-
- How could armyworms infest a newly sodded lawn??? Should they have treated the soil before resodding?

- Could the sod have been infested before installation?

- Should they resod it again or is treating the sod acceptable?

I'm trying to be understanding and patient- the hard winter was not their fault. But when there's a warranty, I expect them to stand by it.

My lawn looks like crap. The backyard looks like goat track.

Here are some pics of the front yard: http://www.screencast.com/t/WflGWWzOZY