Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jefflach

New Rye/Kentucky Bluegrass Lawn - now what?

jefflach
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

I seeded my front lawn just under two weeks ago and am seeing some nice growth as of today. The blades are about 1 - 1.5" tall and it's coming in patches (I think this is normal). The grass is IQ Perennial Rye, Secretariat II Pernnial Rye, and Kentucky Bluegrass. I live in Massachusetts and the lawn is in the open sun for about 70% of the day, so I've been watering like crazy. Here are my questions:

1) Should I put down more seed in some of the more sparsely grown spots or would that be a waste of time?

2) Should I do anything before the cold arrives to make sure it handles the winter well and is ready to come back nicely in the spring?

3) Now that the grass is coming in in most areas, should I change my watering frequency Right now, I water before I leave for work and when I get home at lunch to water it's almost completely dry (on the surface only, I'm hoping...).

4) Is there a programmable hose timer anyone knows of that doesn't cut down on water flow? I bought a cheapo $25 timer at Wal-Mart but it cut down the flow too much and my sprinklers didn't reach far enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I could take a photo if that would help at all.

Comments (3)