Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn weed like dense grass with small thistle things???

Posted by Kodiak1120 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 17:28

Hi everyone,

I have this stuff all over my lawn. It started in one or two spots, but now it's everywhere. It looks like really dense grass that goes brown in the fall/winter and gets these small thistle-looking things. Does anyone know what this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn weed like dense grass with small thistle things???

Here's another shot form further back.

o

That is commonly called globe sedge. It's nasty stuff. Look for a spray called Sedgehammer to kill it. Otherwise you will soon have no grass left.

Also what is your normal watering routine? How often and how much?

o

Thanks for the response. The funny thing is my spriklers have been off all year because we've gotten so much rain this summer. I just turned them back on last week because we went a week without rain and there was no rain in the forecast.

In addition to this issue, I'm also battling a fungus problem. I applied 100lbs of cornmeal last week. Because of the fungus problem, I was trying to restrict watering anyway.

I set my sprinklers to come on every other day for about 10 minutes per zone. I know you're supposed to water less frequently and in greater amounts, but my lawn started showing sings of drought stress so I wanted to get the soil moist and then I'll cut it back.

Anyway, I plan to aerate the lawn with my tow-behind aerator later this week and then fertilize since I haven't fertilized since early summer due to the fungus issue. I guess it would make sense to aerate first and then apply some something to take care of the sedge issue.

Should I wait to fertilize? I've noticed (as you can see in the picutre) that the sedge seems to be dying off in places and turning brown. I'm assuming its due to the cold temps we've been having at night.

Thanks,

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here