Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
driving over a newly seed area

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 17:54

Last fall I put in an earthen ramp to my new shed, and let it settle over the year slowly building it up to where I wanted it. The ramp comes to within 8 inchs of the shed floor and then I use two 2X6's to get into the shed.

Now I want to plant grass on it.

Will I have to not use the shed for a couple of months until the grass is well established, or can I drive carefully across it with the lawn tractor for the yards weekly mowing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: driving over a newly seed area

Running over newly seeded grass with a tractor is a bad idea and should be avoided.

o

I agree with kidhorn. You don't want to run any kind of machinery over a newly seeded area. Perhaps you could keep the machinery stored under a tarp or some other covering elsewhere?

o

Running a tractor over any ground will surely compact it over time. Running it over a newly seeded lawn is a great way to kill the grass, compact the soil and never have to bother with grass there again.

If the tractor has to get to point 'A' and not stay there, then why not put down some two by sixes as a track for the wheels, then pick them up behind the tractor. This spreads the load, the weight, over a wider area. The grass should respond well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here