Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jowall22

Help me discover the truth...

John Wallace
11 years ago

I've heard for years that the secret to a keeping a great fescue lawn through the summer is deep watering infrequently. I have tried this year after year. I've watered once a week for an hour and 15 minutes at time. I've watered twice a week, an hour and 15 at a time. I've watered three times a week 45 minutes at a time. I water in the early, early morning per recommendations. And every time, the summer decimates the grass. Not all of it, mind you, but a good chunk.

I've heard the worst thing for the lawn is to water it often for short periods of time.

BUT... every person that I've asked who has been able to keep a nice looking lawn throughout the summer and into Fall - including my parents (the lushest fescue lawn you'll ever see) - "How often do you water your grass?" - the answer has been 15 to 20 minutes every day.

At first, I snickered at these people secretly thinking "you don't know anything about how to properly water a lawn"... but it seems after about 4or 5 years of trying and ending up with a toasted lawn while seeing theirs stay lush and green, I've come to the conclusion that their solution is the correct one.

Thoughts? Anyone see this same thing? Should I set my sprinklers for 15 minutes every morning next summer?

Comments (6)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Turfgrass is ruled by water. Deep and infrequent works in theory, but in real life it doesn't hold up to many situations. Soil types can dictate watering schedules. Sandy soil generally requires more frequent but shorter waterings. Heavy clays the opposite. One inch of water works only if that water is in the root zone for a week, which isn't typical. Of course the weather is a big factor in the equation. Watering daily is a bit overkill on most lawns, but if you have super sandy soil, or extreme weather, it might be the only way to keep your grass alive. It isn't the best practice as it can lead to shallow roots, and a it will not be able to handle times of drought or use water that 's deeper in the soil. My rule of thumb for watering is water when your grass needs it. My front lawn is adjacent to the street. In hot dry weather, I spot water the grass near the street when it shows stress, which is every 2-3 days, while the rest of the lawn can go much longer. Learn to recognize when you lawn needs water, and water accordingly.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

I've watered once a week for an hour and 15 minutes at time.

Right there is your problem. You got trapped into a rule of thumb of: Water Once a Week. IMHO and professional opinion, it is a silly rule with no meaning.

The proper method or rule that works is water when the grass needs, and then apply 1-inch or enough to drive water 6 inches below the soil surface line.

The trick is YOU have to learn how to let the grass tell you when it needs a drink. There is no schedule other than start just before sun up or whatever time is needed to finish by 10:00 AM

When grass cuts thirsty it blades either wilt, or curly. Regardless all of the grasses color will shift, and the texture will change as a result from either wilting or curling.

As you learn to spot that change you will quickly notice it always starts in one particular area in your yard. So take note of it as it is your signal. So each afternoon say when you get home from work, look at that spot in the heat of the day. When you see the stress, set your irrigation system to operate the following morning.

In the summer when it is really hot and dry, you may have to water 2 or 3 times a week and is all dependent on soil type and climatic conditions. In Spring or Fall you may be able to go weeks without watering.

So learn how to listen to your grass, and give it a nice drink when it tells you it is thirsty.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Both tiemco and TW make good points.
    The deeper the roots, the more resistant any turf is going to be to drought conditions. The rule of thumb is that deep and infrequent watering promotes deeper rooting but the rule isn't very well fleshed out.
    The theory is that 1" of water will moisten soil to a depth of 6" or so. As tiemco points out, it does not take into account the different types of soil. The rule of thumb of deep and infrequent also assumes that the root zone of the particular cultivar of turf is 6" or less. The theory is that turf roots will grow deeper to reach available moisture. If turf is watered daily, moisture is always available near the surface and the roots will continue to grow near the surface as they have no incentive to search deeper. Infrequest watering alows the moisture near the surface to dissipate and "trains" the roots to slowly grow deeper chasing the moisture remaining further down. Root growth is a slow process. Roots will not grow as fast as the water retreats (roots that are 2" deep will not suddenly grow another 4" overnight to reach moisture that is 6" down). So, as TW states, the turf will need watered when it shows stress to keep it from dying, but when watered it should be deep to keep moisture available at deeper levels to continue the cycle of promoting deeper root growth between these stress cycles. Eventually there will be deeper roots that can survive longer periods of drought making for stronger turf and save you money on watering.

• kidhorn
    11 years ago

The difference may be due to grubs. If grubs are eating the roots, then watering every day will keep the grass alive. If you have healthy fescue, an inch of water a week should be plenty.

Next year, put down some grub killer and see if it makes a difference.

• grasshole
    11 years ago

"Thoughts?"

When you want your neighbors results, why not do exactly what the neighbors do?

• Lawn_Hobby
    11 years ago

Just curious:

How quickly will deep roots retreat upward if one had been watering deeply and infrequently for a year or two, but then started to water more frequently and lightly?