Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
St. Augustine

Posted by Julian125 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 18:34

If anybody has an idea to the question I shall be delighted to hear it!
I'm in north Georgia, south of Atlanta though. And my St. Augustine has looked great all summer, what should I do over the next two months to help it look great over the winter?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: St. Augustine

The following combination is the only thing I know that might keep it from going dormant in the winter.

Water once, deeply, once per week.

Set your mower to the highest setting.

Fertilize now with alfalfa pellets or another good organic fertilizer at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet and repeat at 6 week intervals throughout the winter.

o

Thank you, that shall be the course of action I shall let you know what the results from this are.

o

Probably won't help much when hard freeze hits but if it is a hard dry freeze, watering the lawn can help protect the lawn though but it will simply go into dormancy. I tried it few times in Dallas-Ft Worth area and they just turn brown after a week. I think it is the runners and root system that benefits the most from deep watering before hard freeze comes for spring green up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here