Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggiejustin

Plant ID in my bermuda yard

AggieJustin
10 years ago

I need some help identifying exactly what I have growing in my yard (besides bermudagrass). I've looked at pictures online, but nothing ever seem to completely match up.

Invader #1
Runners go out in all directions from central core on top of ground and under bermuda stalks. Tall seedhead stalks coming up from ends (hard to see at top of picture). Usually only appears in late summer when heat and dry weather make the bermuda slow down. When seedheads appear, they grow to about 12" very quickly.
{{gwi:118789}}

I pulled the runners up on top of the grass for a better shot
{{gwi:118791}}

Picture after pulling from the yard
{{gwi:118794}}

Invader #2
It looks like it grows from the same type of central clump as invader #1, but the leaves are much wider. Doesn't appear to be Dallisgrass as I've never see it put up a seedhead. The central clump is much harder to remove than #1 since there are no runners to grab onto.
{{gwi:118796}}

Invader #3
This never puts up seedheads or runners, just one section of the yard along a sidewalk that is mixed in with bermuda. Usually greens a little earlier than bermuda, doesn't seem to spread or be affected by normal weed treatment.
{{gwi:118798}}

This yard was really neglected when we bought the house 4 years ago and there was hardly any grass. I've been trying to get the bermuda re-established, but these three always seem to give me grief toward the end of the season. Want to make sure I know what they are so I can treat effectively.

Thanks!

-Justin

Comments (10)