Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Lawn

Posted by nyctric 92129 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 19:03

When i bought the house, the existing lawn is completely dry and dead grass with weeds. I finally got time to redo now.

I am planning to put scotts sun and shade grass seed with the scotts lawn soil. However I am reading some bad reviews of scotts lawn soil for the price.

I know that my local landfill (Miramar Landfill) give free compost, My question is can i use the compost and mixed with my existing soil for my lawn?

PS: my lawn area is not too big, just about 500sqft.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Lawn

Yes that should work. Why not till the ground and lay sod since your lawn will be fairly small?

o
RE: New Lawn

One great reason not to till the ground is you don't need to. Another one is that the fluffy tilled soil takes 3 years to settle back down and develop a structure. When it does it leaves the surface bumpy. Professionals never rototill. They use a box blade behind a tractor. But nyctric doesn't need that either.

I would not use the soil at all. Top dressing seed seems to be a local option. It is not done universally. Some locales will cover it with straw, some with topsoil, some with compost. All that is unnecessary. In Nature seed is knocked off the plant and stepped on.

Kill any remaining weeds.
Rake off the dead weeds.
Scatter seeds
Walk on all the seed to press it into the surface
Water 3x per day, briefly, to moisten the new seed so it will germinate.
Continue that watering regimen for a week past the time you get 80% germination. Then start backing off on the frequency and moving up on the watering duration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here