Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Turf Shadow

lou_spicewood_tx
10 years ago

Anyone else beside DCHALL try it? I have this patch of bermuda that is thinning out underneath Live Oak trees (facing north) so I'm up for new experiments with different grasses for the fun of it. I don't remember what fine bladed zoysia looks like. It's been so long, I forget what it's supposed to look like in person. I've already took a piece of wide bladed zoysia but no idea on the cultivar to plug in the backyard. I estimate that it will take 30 years for it to completely take over the backyard and maybe another 30 years to creep into front yard and take over completely if I do nothing else.

Comments (6)

• kbinmd
    10 years ago

I have not yet but will be coming next spring for sure.
    [off topic] Lou, I could send you some Meyer Zoysia sprigs I've pulling out of the garden if you would want to try that type of grass out. I pull them and plant them throughout the yard willie-nillie. It's working great in speeding up the spreading

This post was edited by kbinmd on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 11:45

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Shadow Turf looks like this...

{{gwi:96885}}

• jjmay
    9 years ago

WOW, if this is "Shadow Turf", the stuff that comes from Lubbock TX, I desperately need to know how you achieved these results! I posted a message a few weeks ago regarding the poor results after planting shadow turf plugs 4 months ago (see picture attached). My backyard is 90% shade and I am watering twice a week. I apply Miracle Grow about once a month. Questions;
    1. Is this shadow turf from Lubbock planted from plugs?
    2. How much exposure to sun do you have?
    3. How long did it take to get to this point?
    4. What do you fertilize with?

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1) yes

2) I'm told that it was very shady.

3) I *think* by the end of growing season? Maybe during 2nd year?

4) I would have gone with the ratio of 3-1-2 or 4-1-2 synthetic fertilizer first or 2nd time to try and maximize growth then maintain it organically with ordinary alfalfa pellets or soybean meal or whatever you want to experiment with for the fun of it from there on.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

That installation of Shadow Turf in the photo was 18 months old when I took the picture. The lawn belongs to the mother of the owner of the Turffalo company. You can see the thin area to the north side of the tree. After 18 months the plugs had expanded but not much. The tree is an English walnut (as I recall). The shade you see is the shade all day on that lawn. It got no morning sun or afternoon as the house blocked the morning sun and a big tree across the street blocked the afternoon sun.

Miracle Gro?? The liquid? That's not a good fertilizer. At this point I would be using organic fertilizer at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Apply once now and again in November. That's all you'll need until next May.

Your watering should have been a lot more frequent to get the plugs established. It should have been 3x per day for the first several weeks. At this point I have to assume that since it is still alive, that it's doing okay. You should probably be watering very deeply (1 full inch) every 2 weeks.

May would have been a better time to plug this stuff than July, but it will recover...assuming there is some real soil underneath the rubble.

Shadow turf spreads by underground rhizomes. Yours is spreading now, but since it's underground, you can't see it. But next spring it will be everywhere for a distance of 10 feet from each plug.

Do you have any soil or just that rubble?

• wrager
    9 years ago

I installed one flat of Shadow Turf at the back of my lawn where I get only a couple hours of sun. It is adjacent to a plot of TifGrand. After 3 years the Shadow Turf has filled in and looks really nice. The overall area hasn't enlarged much, but it has performed well. The Bermuda...not so well. Has thinned and died back significantly.