Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skizot_gw

Did I burn It?

skizot
15 years ago

I worked so hard, and read, and read, and read... But I think I may have burnt the lawn in areas. The fertilizer was Vigoro 13-13-13 general lawn fertilizer. It said for established lawns to apply at 3/4 to 1.0 lbs. per 100 square feet. That would be 0.975 to 1.3 lbs. per 1,000 square feet. The spreader setting for my Scotts Deluxe Edgeguard was 12 (which I thought was kind of high, but it's only a 13-13-13, so I knew it was going to take more material than a 27-X-X). I ended up using 3 40 lb. bags on a 10,500 sq. ft. lawn. I was making 3 foot passes, as opposed to 5 because it didn't look like the fertilizer was being thrown that far to the sides.

So, Saturday I core-aerated, overseeded, and applied the fertilizer. I watered it in pretty good afterwards. Now, because I overseeded, I had gradually mowed it down, almost scalping it. I could tell this stressed the grass out, because it was fairly brown looking. I also know that core-aerating stresses the grass out as well. So, I can't tell if the areas that are shown below are just areas that are still stressed out, and will come back, or if they are areas that got burnt by the fertilizer. It's really kind of sickening to have this happen as I thought I'd done everything right. Is the grass going to continue to die if it is burn?

Here are the pictures:

{{gwi:119021}}

{{gwi:119022}}

{{gwi:119023}}

{{gwi:119025}}

{{gwi:119027}}

Comments (5)