Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fossoway33

Day 15 of Front Renovation

Fossoway33
11 years ago

I scalped lawn after rounding up front grass, mechanically sliced soil, seeded with spreader, put 1/2 dose recommended starter fertilizer, bag of milo on 2800 sq ft. of front lawn. The seed blend was 40% TTTF Cochise/20% Bullseye/10% Firecracker LS and and 10% KGB Bewitched/10% Everglade/10% Zinfindel. I watered 9 am, 12 noon, and 3 pm from Day 1 through today.

I need help with what I do from here through the first frost. I have the following questions:

1. When and if it all do I hit grass seedlings with a shot of starter fertilizer.

2. Do I apply milo again?

3. When do I spray tenacity again or should I at all?

4. I have a bag of Lesco Fertilizer 19-0-7 with Dimension - should I use that before frost after topgrowth has stopped or is it unsafe for my seedlings? I had lots of crabgrass past spring and summer fyi.

Comments (7)

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to state that I sprayed Tenacity at recommended rate at time of seeding after topdressing with peat moss. Also I first saw TTTF germination on day 4 and on day 14 saw new sproutlets all over the yard and wondered if that was the KGB starting to kick in.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also at what point do I alter my watering times?

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic...

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Looking good, in a month it's going to be sweet. In response to your questions:

1. When and if it all do I hit grass seedlings with a shot of starter fertilizer?

After your second mowing would be a good time to do another half app.

2. Do I apply milo again?

If you want to use it you can. The starter is providing plenty of quick release nutrients, the milo will provide slow release, organic matter, and iron, so feel free to apply it whenever you want.

3. When do I spray tenacity again or should I at all?

Again, up to you. If your weed pressure is very low, you might not feel it's necessary. Read the label, but I think it's indicated that you can apply it to new grass 4 weeks after seeding, but I would probably wait until the new grass is mowed twice.

4. I have a bag of Lesco Fertilizer 19-0-7 with Dimension - should I use that before frost after topgrowth has stopped or is it unsafe for my seedlings? I had lots of crabgrass past spring and summer fyi.

No, I would not use it this year, wait till next spring. Dimension isn't going to do anything for you at that time of the year, and it will lose effectiveness over time.

As far as your watering. I would probably keep the same schedule you are on for another week to be sure most of the KBG germinates, then you can taper it down after that.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks tiemco! Do you have a particluar fertilizer you would recommend before the frost bits and the top growth ceases? Thanks again!

• tiemco
    11 years ago

The last fertilizer drop, usually called a winterizer, should contain all quick release nitrogen. Urea, ammonium nitrate, and ammonium chloride are all quick release. Any of the high nitrogen fertilizers on the market should be fine as long as it's quick release. The nitrogen source will be listed on the bag, and sometimes it will even say water soluble (quick) or water insoluble (slow). A word of caution however. A late nitrogen application can increase the risk of snow mold on new grass, so if you live in an area where long snow cover is common you might want to skip this step this year, in which case your last drop should be around Halloween.

• Fossoway33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, detailed info - thx again!