Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Phoenix Buffalo Grass Lawn: 4 Summers Old

lazy_gardens
11 years ago

Four summers for this lawn of UC Verde started with plugs from Todd Valley Farms:

Fertilized on installation, has not been fertilized since

Getting 1/2 the water that is recommended for Bermuda

Gets mowed once a month or less

The only persistent problem is the Bermuda I didn't quite kill dead before planting ... it keeps coming back like Freddy Kruger. However, it's not overrunning the buffalo grass, so they have detente out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn this September, survived its 4th summer

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Nice.

However, I prefer trees though. I water deeply once or twice a month for the trees depending on the weather and grass often look great as a result anyway.

You're right about bermuda grass. Impossible to get rid of entirely.

• kidhorn
    11 years ago

Looks good. I'll take bermuda over crabgrass or clover any day.

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lou - Trees? I haz them! But I was bragging on the lawn.

There are several large trees behind me (east side of the yard) in this photo, three sapling desert willow outside the frame to the right, one just out of sight behind that pinkish cube (my bathroom patio wall).

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

You should see my old yard! :) I just get tired of hot weather in the summer and want shade instead. Lol.

I checked out your blog and it says you water buffalo grass every 10 days? That's what I do with my st augustine grass too (in Midlothian, Texas located south of Dallas). Just moved to the hill country west of Austin, Texas. With frequent water restriction, my old habit of watering lawn very infrequently will come handy but it depends on the rules, I suppose. I've seen crazy rules where you can only water from midnight to 5am! Thank goodness, my new house comes with sprinkler system but I still hate it because they get in the way of landscaping for sure.

Keep it in mind, it seems that ALL grass need deep watering infrequently to look decent/good which also to benefit trees what was my main focus but it turns out it works pretty good for grass too. 'Floratam' St Aug is the most drought hardy but not so strong cold hardy. When it comes to absolutely doing nothing, that's another story!

When it comes to doing almost nothing in Houston, zoysia grass seem to do be best overall (some trees around). Not sure about Midlothian area. Bermuda is the king for sunny area but no idea for zoysia in more shady area.

I need to get some buffalo plugs for my parents in law. They NEVER water lawn. Just trees if they even remember to do it. Blue Gramma too. I want to see how they do it.

I SHOULD have dug up this unusual grass that NOBODY seemed to know what exactly it is. I posted a thread about it earlier. I love this grass. I can't believe I moved away without digging up a piece from the park where it was. :(

Bermuda grass could not invade it. That was what caught my attention. It just slowly expanded out over the past few years.

• uscgardener
    11 years ago

Looks great! I am totally thinking about installing UC Verde in the spring.