Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie83

*** grubs ***

Lisa
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a Quick Question, I spilled alittle gas on my lawn it was a hand size and killed it and I was out there and where it was dead I was picking the grass and found two Big fat grubs in the soil, Idk if it was the grubs that killed that area or the gas?? anyways what do I do now? its only the size of a hand..and i'm in pittsburgh, pa...so I don't think grubs do damage this time of the yr..???? grub ex would be useless now???? any thoughts
Thanks in advance :)

Comments (7)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Gas killed the spot.

Dig around in a 1-square foot area and count the grubs you find. If you find more than 12, then start to worry. Fewer than 12 and your lawn should be able to handle them as just a nuisance.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :) the gasline broke to my trimmers and I think that is where it killed it and I was pulling the dead grass out and found two grubs only in that whole area the rest of my lawn is thick and green..I always mow it high. I am worried now..:/ should I put an application of grub ex down anyways? Thanks so much

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

NO. Don't put insecticide down unless you have a problem and that problem is definitely a result of insects. The reason is a large class of your soil biology will be wiped out by the insecticide. Once you eliminate a large fraction of a fragile ecosystem, bad things happen. You don't want that. You can recover from it but why go to the extra expense?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK Thank You so much for the advice, I just hope no more of my lawn gets damaged :/ I have a beautiful lawn ..I should check another area to see if there are anymore??? like cut a piece or no? I am so obsessed with my lawn

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    10 years ago

Like Mr. Hall said, "Dig around in a 1-square foot area and count the grubs you find. If you find more than 12, then start to worry. Fewer than 12 and your lawn should be able to handle them as just a nuisance."

If you have no white patches of grass anywhere on your lawn, don't worry about it.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much :) I don't have any other spots on my lawn...I went over a few spots and dug back some grass and No grubs at all just some night crawlers which are good...keeping a close eye tho..and I put a piece of sod in the spot LOL I am Obessed with my lawn..:( Thanks ;)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, obsessed? Can I ask a few questions?

Where do you live (city or zip code please)?
    What kind of grass do you have?
    What is your watering regimen (frequency and duration)?
    How high/low do you mow?
    When were the last two apps of fertilizer and what did you use?
    Do you ever use organic fertilizer?
    Have you used herbicide, insecticide, or fungicide in the past year?
    Have you applied any amendments (lime, compost, top dressing with top soil) in the past two years?
    Have you had a soil test in the past two years?