Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fescue: dead, or just dormant?

Posted by macgawd 7-8 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 20:16

I live in southern Tennessee, and we've had a real scorcher this summer, with little rain. I have tried to keep the lawn watered, but now a good portion of my Fescue looks dead. Adding to the problem, my neighbor recently cut down an entire row of trees that provided cooling shade for my lawn--now it gets direct and blistering sun most of the afternoon, which bakes the soil.

Will the grass return in the spring, or is it dead, dead, dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fescue: dead, or just dormant?

Without actually seeing your grass it's hard to say, but if it's straw colored, and very brittle it's likely dead. If it is a gray or brown color with a hint of green, then it is more likely dormant, but still could be dead. If you get a good deal of rain this fall then you will know for sure by how it reacts.

o

Tall fescue does a good job at staying green for a long time in low water conditions before it becomes dormant. Unfortunately, once it goes dormant, it takes less time to die than many other grasses. If it has been brown for quite a while, it's likely dead, especially if it's brittle, as tiemco said.

o

Straw colored and brittle describes a good portion of it, so dead seems to be the verdict. The question is, now what?

I'd say a good 75% of the lawn is still green, but its patchy, and I've got a lot of weeds. I was away on business for about 5 weeks in early spring, right at the time I needed to feed the lawn and put down a pre-emergent, so it didn't get done. Our spring was also unusually wet and humid, so I also had a lot of brown patch. Follow that up with a scorching hot summer with little rain, and now I've got a 25% dead lawn.

Suggestions?

o

Ever consider you might have a grub problem? Try raking some of the "dead" looking spots, if the grass pull off in sheets, you have grubs. You may even see grubs at the soil level once the grass is raked off.

o

I would consider overseeding with a sun loving mix or straight KBG. You no longer have shade and the fescue, whether dead or alive, is not going to prosper next year in full sun.

o

No grub problem, but I did have a large problem with brown patch this year, due a wet spring and warm, humid evenings.

I'd love to consider KBG, but isn't it too hot down here in the summer for it? What are the maintenance requirements for KBG in comparison to Fescue?

o

I think southern TN is too hot for KBG. If I remember correctly, when I was on a project in Memphis, a lot of the grass I saw was Bermuda. Tall fescue is probably your best bet for a cool season grass, but it's likely to need regular overseeding to keep it looking good.

o

I live in east TN, which is more mountainous. Memphis is only 254 ft above sea level, and so is quite a bit hotter and more humid than the eastern side of TN where I live, which is 2100 ft above sea level. From what I've read, KBG will do as well here as Fescue. I'd like to try it at least--can't do worse than what I have now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here