Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
char_35

best application to grass in fall??

char_35
11 years ago

I have a 20X40 grass area that I've maintained for several years and except for a few dandilions it has stayed green and healthy. In the past I've applied a couple inches of compost to it in the fall. I've gotten a late start this year and all I can find is Canadian Peat. Can I put this down instead of compost? We're snow birds and are not here in the winter so I want to be sure I'm not making a mistake. I appreciate any suggestions before it starts to snow!!

Comments (6)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

So you never fertilize in the fall? What kind of grass do you have?

• char_35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I fertilize with Scotts weed and feed in June when we come up to Wyo. and then Scotts winterizer in Sept. before we leave. But a "nursery person " that lives up here says it's best to put down a layer of compost too. I can't find any up here this year( sm. mountain town) only Canadian peat. Not sure on the type of grass. It was in when we moved here. I would guess it is a Kentucky blue grass or blend that looks like blue grass. It is very thick.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Peat is a product of bogs. It is not completely decayed plant material. In its natural state it will have a ph of 3.5-4.5. Many suppliers will ammend it to nuetralize its acidity. If "Candadian peat" is processed to nuetralize acidity, other than increase in time to decompose (vs compost), it should be an acceptable substitute for your putposes.

• goren
    11 years ago

Char.....do I read you right, you apply 2" of topdressing to your lawn and in the form of compost.Let's see...20 by 40 = 800 square feet, two inches deep...that's 1600 X 3 = 4800..
    divided by 1000 = 4.8 cubic yards of compost.

That's a heap of compost...or whatever typre of soil dressing you use.
    You know, for all its benefits topdressing is quite acceptable to use 1/2" to 1"...to feed your lawn and improve its effectiveness to hold moisture bt injecting organic matter into the soil.

I don't believe peat moss has the same attributes.
    The difference between the two I think is quite clear, compost is better for the lawn's health.
    Using 1/2" then you would only need 1 - 1 1/2 cubic yards to be effective. This also would aid in any overseeding you might feel is necessary.

Two inches laid over a lawn would seem to me to possibly smother the lawn and restrict oxygen and sunlight. One-half to one inch is quite sufficient.

• char_35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My mistake as to the amount of compost. I use about 1 cu. yard. I work it into the grass. It does not cover the grass. It's mostly green on top when done. I don't have a choice this year. It will be Peat and I'll shop early next year for compost. We have very little good natural top soil in this area. I'm sure when they planted the grass they brought a lot of good soil before planting. When I dig out my dandilion roots I hit rocks about 8 inches down.
    Mind you, I'm not complaining. The cool summers and natural beauty here are worth the work. Thank you all for your help!

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I had heard of people covering their lawns in S.D. (regional thing maybe?) with compost as a winter blanket. From your first post about a "couple inches", I assumed that was what you were doing. Peat will be fine. I topdress my lawn often with peat or peat moss.