Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micnn

Can you identify this weed/grass?

micnn
9 years ago

This could also be a type of grass that was planted in previous years. Lawn type is KBG. Location - San Francisco South Bay Area, CA

Comments (9)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

IDing grass from a picture like this is harder sometimes than when it's in the lawn. Can you post a picture showing how it grows? Also are the blade tips pointed or blunt? And does this plant ever get a seed head on it? If you could get a picture of the seed head that often is all we need.

• micnn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please see another closeup...

• micnn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more pic of the same grass with scale... The blade tips are pointed. I will try to take more pics if I can find more. Thanks!

• micnn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one for the day... :)

• KCSummer
    9 years ago

Looks like maybe yellow nutsedge which is something that has plagued my own lawn it takes special stuff to kill it ROUNDUP type stuff does nothing.

• KCSummer
    9 years ago

Or on second thought I think this is more accurate

Dallisgrass (Pasapalum dilatatum)

This post was edited by KCSummer on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 17:31

• micnn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks KC for suggestions! Unfortunately it seem to be neither. My weed doesn't have center ridge on the leave blades, and the blades as well as the whole plant are sort of stiff.

I apology that my photos are not good. I understand it can be difficult (impossible) to id the grass based on photo alone. I was hoping if someone has seen it and it would be like snapping fingers to just naming it. Here are more descriptions:

1. The 1st pic shows the topside of the leave blade. The leave blade's underside is smooth and a little bit waxy. The blade tip is pointed. The mature blade leaves are around 1/8" to 1/4" in width.

2. The plant has persistent dark-green color.

3. No obvious ligule.

4. Doesn't spread with rhizome. However, I have also seen, extremely rarely, that two plants' roots were interconnected.

5. Could it be "Survivor Chewings Fescue" (19.45% in Pennington's Smart Seed Sun & Shade product) that I planted last spring? It was a mistake but I learned my lesson. Anyway, this link contains pics of sod that looks similar to some small colonies on my lawn last year (http://www.jeinc.com/survivor). I remember it took a whole chunk of soil to eradicate the colony because of its dense roots.

6. The weed seems to be drought tolerant despite its shallow roots. During the summer month they perform well by hiding alongside the KBG. They did not form sod this year thank goodness, perhaps because I spotted it early. However their stiff nature can still push out neighboring KBGs.

7. umm... what else... ? :) Anyway, like to know who my enemy is so give me the names , LOL. Anything comes to your mind is Okay I will go from there.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

It looks like a fescue

• micnn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I second your guess. :) Thanks!