Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19752573

saving part bags of fertilizer

User
10 years ago

I fertilize the lawn 4 times during the year, using the various Scotts granular fertilizers and a Scotts drop spreader. This fertilizer is sold in two sizes, for 5.000 and 15,000 sq. ft. The small bag is not quite enough to do the job, and the large bag will do it twice. This means that I always wind up with a partial bag left over, for the following year.

I have tried resealing the bag by several methods, even duct tape, to keep the contents dry, and store it in the (dry) garage. But it seems that, when I use the leftover material, it has found enough moisture to cake and eventually clog the spreader. This is not a case where wetness on the grass is transferred to the bottom of the spreader, as the grass is too short to touch it, and this issue comes up even when the grass is bone dry.

It seems wasteful, as well as expensive, to discard the extra each time, but as careful as I have been, this problem occurs. Does anyone have some wisdom on this?

Comments (6)

• forsheems
    10 years ago

Just sift though it and bust up any clumps by hand. I've bought fertilizer in the past that had apparently been wet and had to do this with no issues.

• forsheems
    10 years ago

Just sift though it and bust up any clumps by hand. I've bought fertilizer in the past that had apparently been wet and had to do this with no issues.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ForsheeMS, for your suggestion. There are no lumps in these saved bags, and the granules do not appear damp. But, the clogs in the spreader holes do seem to be somewhat damp, causing the holes to become plugged. My assumption is that this happens gradually, apparently due to accumulated moisture in the saved material.

• goren
    10 years ago

I guess we've all had that happen. Since you are doing everything you can to keep the moisture out might I suggest you double bag...put the fertilizer in the bag....into another bag...plasitc garbage bag can work and tie it securely.
    Or, put the contents into a plastic pail that has a tight fitting lid.

Now...I'm going to assume a fact. You are placing this bag of fertilizer on the garage floor.....maybe off in a corner...out of sight.
    GET IT UP OFF THE FLOOR....garage floors (cement) can leach out the nitrogen from the bag of fertilizer to the extent its usefulness is affected the next time you use it.
    Put it on a wood surface....a pallet or a shelf will protect it.

Use the large bag first. If the small bag is then what's left, there is not as much possible waste.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

For 1000 sq. ft. of lawn, you're good to go if you apply 1 - 1.5 pounds of nitrogen -- not fertilizer -- NITROGEN. So if the stuff is 21% N, you'll need 5-7 pounds of fertilizer per 1000 sq. ft.

If Scott's isn't recommending that rate, you can increase the rate of application on your lawn and use all of both bags. Cool season lawns (fescue, ryegrass, bluegrass) need quite a dose of nitrogen going into winter.

This post was edited by MulchMama on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 13:38

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got off the phone with Scotts. The agent tells me that the bags have tiny holes in them, this means that I am wasting my effort to try and seal up the open bags. She suggested, as did goren, to rebag or double bag the leftovers, I like MulchMama's suggestion as well. Does anyone know how the numbered settings on a Scott drop spreader relate to spread rate? ( e.g. if I go from "5" to "6", how much more is used?) For the record, these bags live on a wooden shelf, but I think I'll try keeping them in the (heated) basement.

This post was edited by slow-poke on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 11:17