Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajr81

Please help me with my lawn

ajr81
10 years ago

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this type of grass? I should have all Kentucky Bluegrass, which you can see in the picture. But this other thicker bladed grass that is mixed in grows so fast and it looks like crap. It is four inches taller than the bluegrass two days after I mow. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of it. I have other pictures if that would help. Please help as it is driving us crazy!!! Thank you in advance.

Comments (5)

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Need a close up photo, but that looks a lot like Orchard Grass to me. I have the same. I've had a hard time getting it with anything. Glyphosate weakens it here, but it seems to come back even after 3 shots. Similar results with vinegar. Tenacity does nothing except turn the tips white when following the same schedule as CBG (wasn't going after that particular grass). Not to say these methods won't work for everyone, but that's my experience. I have better luck digging them out, because they WILL spread. Curious to what other opinions may be out there. You might check this out in the meantime

Here is a link that might be useful: KSU blog

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Keep after it with RoundUp. It could be coming back from seed each time. Don't let it go to seed and keep after it.

• ajr81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so I should RoundUp each little clump over and over...and the bluegrass should eventually take over even though some of it will be killed be the RoundUp too, correct?

Thanks!

• gsweater
    10 years ago

Roundup will kill everything it touches (with the exception of Orchard Grass in my lawn lol!). So, unless you spray very, very, very, very carefully, with the precision of a brain surgeon, expect dead patches. Luckily for me I didn't care and was going to reseed the entire area.

In your case you may want to mix roundup and apply it with a brush to minimize damage. I've read that some folks use gloves and dip the fingers in the solution and wipe it on the blade. The latter seems a little risky to me, but they're still alive (I think)! :)

This post was edited by gsweater on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 21:04

• goren
    10 years ago

I don't think you can spray meticulously enough to not kill the good with the bad.
    If the nuisance is a weed......and there's not that much of it...why not think to dig it out.

I'm not a fan of one type grass....most seed bags contain a blended mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, perennial ryegrass and fescue....in the ratio of 40/30/30.....which gives a lawn the best chance of each giving its best and standing up to most conditions that might not stand up well to the individual type.

Spraying a glyphosate...such as RoundUp, will kill everything green it touches...including the good.

Instead of trying to get rid of the invader, why not try to bring the other stuff up so it shades out the bad and treat the lawn with organic matter each spring.....and each fall.
    If this is too much on the wallet, then do it in the spring for sure....and repeat this every spring...whether you believe it needs it or not.
    This will increase organic mater and invite moisture to be retained. then over seed every spring.