Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Question about watering new tall fescue grass seed

wilsocn
11 years ago

I am in zone 6b and two days ago I bought and sowed around 54 pounds of the "The Rebels" tall fescue blend. I was over-seeding but have large bare spots in my front yard thanks to killing off a johnson grass infestation. I made double passes over those areas. This was all done after mowing close, aerating and raking up a whole lotta thatch.

I spent a lot of time and effort getting things right and then, in a mental lapse, I didn't make sure I had enough mulch to cover all the bare spots. It looked fine at first but the straw has moved around a bit and its clear that I didnt put down enough to cover all the soil and seed.

I am at home during the day so I have been watering around 4 times a day but trying to keep things moist is really a challenge. It has been in the mid to lower 80s during the day and sunny which wasnt supposed to be the case. Nights are cool and crisp though. I know that mulch isnt an absolute requirement but my question is just how particular is tall fescue seed as to its water requirements in the pre germination stage?

Even though the soil might get a little dry, does the seed still retain enough moisture in its coating to sustain itself until the next watering? Given that I am in 6b, if I still have bare spots in the next 3 weeks will it be too late to lay down extra seed? I have read that September is the best month for tall fescue but I am not sure how late is too late to try and fill a few more patches.

Just any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Mulch or topdressing isn't necessary, although it does help. Your overseeded areas should be fine, as the existing grass will help retain moisture. Grass seeds do retain water and can stay moist even if the soil appears dry. With 4 waterings a day you should have no problems keeping your seeds moist, most people do three. If there are areas that aren't getting enough water, that could be a problem. The main thing is to not let seeds that have germinated completely dry out. The seeding window is still open for tall fescue, especially if we have a fall like last year, but if winter comes early, that window will be closed very soon.

• nearandwest
    11 years ago

Just keep watering 4 times per day as you are currently doing. I suspect by next Friday 9/21 (barring a heavy rain event), you'll be seeing plenty of seed germination, including in the bare areas. Good luck!

• wilsocn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help, nearandwest and tiemco. I will just keep doing what I am currently doing and hope for the best. I wish mother nature would help me out a little though. This is day 2 of supposedly completely overcast skies with chances of rain. I only see sunshine and blue skies though haha.

• Miko_R
    9 years ago

Hi,

I have another question regarding tall fescue seeds I will be grateful if someone would be able to answer -

After seeding (yesterday) I didn't went over with rake to cover the seeds. I did scatter some compost over it, yet there are some "wholes" in the compost coverage, so I can see in bare eyes the seeds over the ground where there are not cover with compost.

Is that a real problem that decrease germination? I'm watering 4-5 times a day, so the ground/soil is always moisture.
    Should I go again all over the lawn with rake?

Thanks!

• forsheems
    9 years ago

Wilsocn, I did an overseed on my 1/2 acre and a complete reno on my parents 1,500 square foot back lawn on Monday. Last night we got a torrential downpour so my lawn will need some spots touched up and my parents lawn was completely wiped out so I now have more seed on the way. Guess I'm trying to say be careful what you wish for on rain. :) I would much prefer watering 3 to 4 times per day during the first few weeks.

Miko R, as long as the seeds have good contact with the soil and you keep them moist you will have germination. In the past I have used compost, peat moss, straw, and nothing to cover the seed and germination has been very good either way. Just make sure whatever you use isn't too thick on top of the seed. About 1/4" is as much as you want. Covering the seed will help with moisture retention but if you're watering 4 to 5 times per day that shouldn't be an issue for you.

• Jtaylor55
    9 years ago

I live in Western, Oklahoma and planted some tall fescue on Sunday I have been watering.multiple.times a day and the soil is staying pretty moist.. Last night though I went to play golf, set my timer on my water sprinkler for 30 minutes and left. It didn't turn off and watered for a good couple hours in one area, it was dark so I could not tell if it puddles and ran but did I just ruin my future lawn?