Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Mower Burn

Posted by crombold 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:52

I had an interesting thing happen this weekend when I mowed that hasn't happened to me before. I mowed yesterday, and today I saw that my grass burned, but in alternating lines from the mower. For example, I have nice green grass when I mowed in one direction, but then burned when I went the other direction with the mower one row over. It looks like I have yellow stripes across my lawn. Any idea why the grass would burn when I would mow in one direction, then be fine when I mowed the other direction?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Mower Burn

Where do you live?
What kind of grass do you have?
What kind of mower do you have?
How high/low is the mower set?
Have you done any maintenance on the mower recently?
When were the last two times you fertilized and what did you use?
Have you applied any herbicide, fungicide, or insecticide in the past 3 months? If so, what?
What is your watering regimen? (frequency and duration)

o

My guess is, it isn't burned. There isn't any reason a mower could burn a lawn, especially in that kind of pattern. You just took off the tops of the grass and what you're seeing is the paler color od the lower parts of the blades, and the reason you're only seeing it in one direction is that the mower brings up the "nap" of the lawn in a different direction. Like sports fields. Does that make sense?

o

Back when I had a mower with independently adjustable wheels, I had a case where the left side wheels were both set higher than the right. This caused the right side to scalp. It was weird looking. I figured it out, but not until I had finished mowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here