Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Does Grass Actually Die? Dead Die?

So, I have this wooded backyard that has never before had a "real", cultivated lawn. The previous owner liked a bed of leaves, so we spent July and August raking up 15 years of them. But, actually, last spring, when we bought the house there were patches of sparse green grass growing in the cleared section, between the woods and the house.

By the time the end of Aug/beginning of Sept came, and I was in final stages of preparing the soil, and then seeding, those patches of spring green grass had become thin blades of dried up grass; looking straw like. I figured it was dormant, and that it'd green up once it felt the effects of the starter fertilizer I'd put down(for the seeds), and started watering.

Now I have nice green grass coming up, but those blades of straw-y grass are STILL just blades of straw-y grass.

So, it is really just dead grass? In my experience, grass that turns dry and strawy looking over a summer drought is really just dormant. Is this grass that actually died??? I had expected it to perk back up and join the grass from my seeding effort. Now I have to deal with these patches of dried grass amongst my new "grasses".

Comments (3)