Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Crabgrass, goosegrass, and spurge

ZoysiaSod
11 years ago

I was surprised to see little baby spurge and goosegrass still sprouting this late in the summer. I mean it's almost fall. Maybe the extra rain we're now getting is helping them. I saw baby spurge weeds sprouting through thatch in my neighbor's front yard yesterday. It's the thatch from his dead annual/perennial ryegrass he planted during the spring from his bag of "Canada Green" seed. My neighbor made the mistake of buying that particular company's seed twice. Whole lotta annual rye in those bags and very little bluegrass. But I convinced him recently to stop ordering Canada Green from the internet.

New young crabgrass plants seem to have finally stopped sprouting, but the existing crabgrass plants are still producing seedheads--just look in my neighbor's backyard--it's almost all crabgrass this year. Of course, like his all-henbit yard disappeared in late spring/early summer, his all-crabgrass yard will soon disappear in late summer/early fall.

Crabgrass, goosegrass, and spurge are big weeds around here. Luckily the goosegrass and spurge are easy to pull out, but of course, it gets less easy when there's lots of little goosegrass(es) to pull out. Of the 3 weeds, crabgrass sprouts first in the spring, followed 2 or 3 weeks later by goosegrass. Then after that, comes the spurge, or so that's the timeframe given by the Scotts Lawns book.

Comment (1)

• ZoysiaSod
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think goosegrass has the ability to re-root itself into soil after you pull it out of the ground, just like purslane does. So don't toss pulled goosegrass weeds back onto the ground or into the garden as mulch, thinking they're dead. They're not. Instead throw them into the trash or compost pile. The goosegrass I tossed into my garden soil reoriented its roots into the soil and kept on growing, but never grew tall or skyward again; instead the shoots grew prostrate hugging the ground closely, but still grew and grew until they were much, much bigger than when I pulled them out of my lawn. They had grown into giants in the garden soil.

I don't know how quickly the roots replanted themselves for the goosegrass, but I've seen the roots of pulled purslane re-root after just 1 or 2 days--don't recall the exact length of time from last year but it was fast.

From the Scotts Lawns book: Goosegrass is a warm season annual that "reproduces by seed that begins germinating in spring two to three weeks later than crabgrass and continues germinating into midsummer." And this year, I've seen it germinate in late summer.

Spurge is another really interesting weed. Spurge is a warm-season annnual that dies with the first frost, and "seeds begin to form when plants are only 2 weeks old," according to Scotts Lawns.

I pulled more spurge from my neighbor's front yard yesterday. I've now cleared his lawn of weeds for the first 8 feet from my lawn's property line. He appreciates the free help, and I don't want his weeds invading my lawn. He's an older widower, so I'm happy to help.

By the way, the fellow down the corner that grows the super tall bermuda with all the ghastly seedheads showing, well, his wife and kids currently live in another city, so he doesn't have anyone to tell him, "Go cut the lawn." Lol. He's only in his 30's or 40's, so he doesn't have an excuse not to cut the lawn. He has a good job too, but he's just living alone in that big house right now, and feels no compunction to cut his lawn I guess--Lol. I've seen a lawn mowing company cut it on rare, infrequent occasions. He's got a thick 6-foot by 3-foot patch of tall yellow nutsedge growing gleefully in his tall, healthy bermuda. So although bermuda will choke out lots of weeds, it doesn't seem to phase sedge. I've never seen such a big healthy patch of yellow nutsedge.

Anyway, back to my own neighbor's spurge (not the guy down the corner). So my widower neighbor has mats of prostrate spurge, and they've grown to be big spurges, like a foot across. Spurge competes very well against grass. Pull up his big mats of spurge and you won't find any grass growing underneath. The neat thing about spurge is if you tear some stems open from the big spurges, you'll see a milky sap that gets on your hands. His big spurge are also sticky; I guess it's from the sap inside the stems that comes out. Also seen a few spotted spurge in his yard.