Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1111gd1111

Proper overwinter lawn height

So how tall should KBG/fescue grass be overwinter? For years I've been mowing at 1.5" high, but only because I was told to mow the lawn "short". I know I shouldn't hack it down in one cutting.

Comments (8)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Cutting shorter helps prevent snow mold. It's more important as to when to cut shorter as in after the top growth stops.

• 1111gd1111 3b NW WI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1950 - thanks for the "when" tip. What height do you suggest?

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I'm in N.E. Ohio and get lake effect snow. I have KBG and since cutting it at 2" height before winter (In previous years, my Fall height was 3", this year I'm at 2 1/2", and I drop to 2" late October/early November just before the first snowfall), I have had no snow mold problems. That's what has worked for my lawn in my area. If 1 1/2" has worked for you without ill effect, I'd stick with that.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that mowing height is only one factor, late season application of fertilizer is another. Use a quick release.

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

Grass - where at in NE Ohio are you?

• goren
    11 years ago

1111....you have said 'for years' you have cut it to one and a half inches.....so ...how has it fared?
    If it works.....

Its a matter of concern to those who haven't done what you have done...gone and done it!

Me, I leave my grass high....as high as a normal cut I do for the last mowing of the season. I haven't had any problems...but then, I don't have any problems to speak of in the spring and summer so I go with what works for me.
    Its evidently worked for you what you do.

Extremes of temperature I think is what causes problems. Where the lawn is cut very low, it can dry out more easily where sun and loss of normal moisture levels are low.
    Normal northern winters result in freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw cycles that can cause eruption of soil where moisture levels in the soil affects it.
    Last winter----if we can call it that--we had temperatures with extremes unlike other years. Temperatures in the 70's when normally they should be way way down below the freezing mark, and maintained for many days, did cause many problems--buds broke--and then died when normal temperatures returned. I'm sure some lawns reacted none too well. Any subsoil temperatures rose and then they too froze when temperatures returned to normal.

I think you will find many pros and cons to both sides of the question.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Near Akron

• ibanez540r
    11 years ago

I'm in Brunswick, northern Medina County. Funny running in to people on the web so close. We're probably like a 20min. drive from each other.