Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmiller84_gw

Tenacity , over seeding , etc.

JMiller84
11 years ago

Hello everyone , I have a question or two . My lawn is full of common Bermuda grass which I hate . On 9/22 I sprayed Tenacity over the front yard ( I plan on doing the back in the Spring ) . I know it works kinda slow , and thats fine , but I am kinda curious as to when it would be OK to mow . I plan on mowing the lawn very low and removing as many clippings as possible . I was also going to go over the yard with a slicer , then throwing the seed down . In talking to some people I work with , they have suggested a rota tiller instead of a slicer . The opinion is starting from scratch , the better for the seed . I was wondering if tilling the ground would also help the Bermuda come back if theres still some left. I know the Bermuda is hard to get rid of but Im hoping a light spraying in the Spring will take care of any. Im hoping to do all this the middle of next week if everyone feels the Tenacity has had plenty of time .I have chosen Kentucky Midnite BG as my lawn of choice .

Thanks everyone in advance !

Comments (6)

• grass1950
    11 years ago

I have never used Tenacity and can't say how effective it is on Bermuda, but I would say that is a very expensive route to go. There are people here who can advise you on eradicating Bermuda. When to do it and how. I would think RU would be most cost effective. I would advise against tilling and just use the slicer. I have Midnite and love the look, color, and blade but as a mono stand you could loose the whole lawn to disease. You may want to consider a blend. There are people here whpoo can better advise you on cultivars to mix with midnite.

• JMiller84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tenacity is VERY expensive . I seen a gallon jug on eBay for $1K !!! But I got mine for $19.99 , wont say how ; )

Tenacity is supposed to work on Bernuda . From what I have read , the lawn turns completely white , does something to the chlorophyll . I have a variety of other weeds in the lawn that the Tenacity will take care of .

The reason i was going with just KBG is that the Tenacity can harm other grasses ,from what I have read , but not KBG . I figure the Bermuda is gonna put up a fight so Im betting another spray in Spring will be needed .

I have used a slicer before and it worked out great . Im leaning towards that route again .

One other thing , should I use some type of fertilizer when the seed goes down or wait until Spring ?

Thanks everybody .

• grass1950
    11 years ago

Yes, use a fertilizer. A starter fertilizer makes phosphorus and potasium easily available to new sprouts for cell growth, root growth and for other basic plant processes.
    As for the Tenacity, I take it you are not doing a total kill, but a selective kill of the Bermuda while retaining any existing KBG?
    The reason I'm advising against a midnite monostand is that something killed off all my Midnite this last 2 weeks. I've been unable to determine the cause other than to surmize it was a fungus. The blades from the tip down turned white (no chlorophyl-dead) and the whole plant died within 2 weeks.

• JMiller84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no other grass except Bermuda , and some basic weeds .

I know Im taking a chance going with only KBG but Im hoping if I take care of it , stay on top of any problems , they should be easyily corrected if something happens.

Ill check on the fertilizer first chance I get .

Thanks

• Curmudgeon10
    11 years ago

With regard to Tenacity's cost, I do not believe it to be out of line with special formulation selective herbicides.

A bottle of concentrate retails for about $89.00. But the recommended dilution for residential use is only 1 TEASPOON per 2 gallons of water in a hand held spray tank. I've used the two gallon mixture to spot treat weeds in about 10,000 sq feet of lawn. My bottle should last for YEARS at that rate.

I've found that the weed is dead, and will continue to deteriorate once you notice significant silvering on the leaves. This takes about 10 days to 2 weeks after application.

• JMiller84
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much . I was wanting dead dead , not almost dead .

My neighbors yard on both sides are basically in the same shape mine is . I told them what I was planning on doing and they are waiting to see how mine does before they commit to doing the same thing .

Thanks everyone .