Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humdogj

Grading Non-compliance a year later..WTH??

humdogj
10 years ago

So I get a letter in the mail today from our town and they say that the back lot line is not in compliance with the town's drainage plan. They say it should be draining south but it drains north. There is a storm sewer about 10-15 ft. from the north corner that it drains into, which would make obvious sense, but they want it to drain "to who knows where else." Along our back lot line, my neighbors, his neighbor's, completing a half circle, and into who knows where. This is about a 420 ft. distance.

To make a long story short, the north lot line is 13" below what it should be, and the south lot line is 3" above what it should be. We've been in our house about a year, had our lawn put in at the beginning of June(I know, I know, worst time of the year). The funny part about this is that we seeded about 10 ft. from the lot line in the north corner because it was too wet when we put the lawn in. Couldn't get any machinery in there until it recently dried, probably 2-3 weeks ago. And I can show you a picture of the weed growth and grass line to prove this. And the area on the south end is higher and that's still wet....how the heck does that work????

My question is, shouldn't this have been taken care of in the rough grading? We haven't touched this back area (I was actually going to cut all the weeds in this 10ft. path, put dirt down, seed, and be done next week) and it makes me sick that I get this letter on a Friday and can't talk to anyone until Monday. Now I have to call the Town guy I got the letter from on Monday and who knows when, or if, they will send anyone out here to take a look at what's going on.

Like I said earlier, we've been here over a year. They did the survey 2 months ago and we're finding out this weekend. Anyone have any clue as to who is responsible? Developer? Me? I'm going to shoot some pics tomorrow for my own records.

Comment (1)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Developer is responsible for it being the way it is. However, you might be responsible for compliance.

I would call the guy to set up an appointment to discuss it in person. Why? Because you need lots of visual aids that he does not have. Take your pictures with you. Also call your local appraisal district and ask them for a copy of the original plat of the area. It may show the design of the drainage. That's not likely, but you might find something in it. Unless you live in a very small county, they should be able to email it to you. Print the pertinent part of that plat map and have that with you when you visit the city code guy. It really helps to have lots of visual aids to explain what the situation is and what needs to happen.

It does sound like a Herculean, and unnecessary, amount of work to reroute natural drainage. And I would think it would be necessary to prevent your drainage from flowing onto your neighbor's property.