Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Centipede Care - Need some help

Posted by rock324 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 22:25

We moved into our new house in Louisiana about 3 months ago and we have a Centipede lawn, which was laid about 5 months ago. I'm new with lawn care so I want to make sure it's well taken care of. Here are my some things about our yard to note:
1) We're entering into our fall so it will stay in 60's-70's for about 6 more weeks then it will be winter until about February. In the front yard, there are some patches that got burned during the Summer heat and about 30% of the back yard is fairly thin due to sun & never really thickening up and getting "green".
2) There are some weed patches in certain spots in the back yard. I was thinking about using weed-b-gone this week to get rid of those.
3) We have a side yard where are dogs run a good bit so they've created a 10-inch wide "path" where the grass has been worn down. This area does not get much sun but it needs some work with either seeds or thickening up.

Basically, I need some help figuring out if I can do anything in the next couple of weeks to help out any of my problems with our lawn. I spoke to a customer service rep at Scot's and she mentioned that I should wait until Spring (just want to see if any other options) Sorry for the long message, but I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Centipede Care - Need some help

Did the Scott's rep know you were in LA? That sounds like their northern lawn advice.

Did you not get regular rain this summer? If it ever happens that you do not get an inch of rain in a week, then you need to water an inch to make up for it. This is in summer heat, only. The rest of the year it would be once every 2-4 weeks depending on lots of factors. Just watch the grass. When it dries out, water immediately with a full inch of water.

Centipede is the one kind of grass that needs very little care. If you fertilize at all, do it around Thanksgiving at 1/2 the bag rate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here