Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoot_cat

Renovation to Current! All Organic w/Pics

skoot_cat
16 years ago

I keep seeing posts from everyone on the renovations and progress with seeding and I couldn't resist. Although I am not seeding (as I live in Florida, near Tampa) I had to jump on the band wagon.

I started the front lawn renovation in March 2007. My good buddy, which happens to be a landscaper helped me out. We cut out the existing lawn which was a mix of bahia, bermuda, All kinds of weeds and some St. Augustine. We then brought in 6 yards of compost/topsoil mix and spread it about 2" thick over 2000sqft. I then broadcasted 100lbs of alfalfa pellets and about 70lbs used coffee grounds. I watered the amendments in for 7 days, 1 hour each evening. Then installed 4 pallets of St. Augustine Floratam, which took about 4 hours with 3 people. A week after the sod was laid I broadcasted 20lbs per 1000sqft of and Organic Fertilizer (Bradfield) which is alfalfa based.

My lawn has been maintained 100% organic every since. I mulch mow at 4.25", Calibrated my sprinklers to apply between 3/4 to 1" of water about every 5-7 days in the middle of summer. I spray Liquid Seaweed monthly and Feed microbes with Alfalfa, SBM and Corn Meal.

Out with the old!

{{gwi:119527}}

{{gwi:119528}}

Had a Little help to Spread the compost!

{{gwi:119530}}

And here it is Today!

{{gwi:119531}}

{{gwi:119532}}

{{gwi:119533}}

{{gwi:119534}}

4.25" Mowing height!

{{gwi:119535}}

Comments (19)

• vtec
    16 years ago

Looking good!

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

In my neighborhood yours would be the yard of the month every month. That includes putting my yard substantially to shame.

Thank you for posting the instructions for anyone else to follow. That's about as picture perfect as it gets.

• subywu
    16 years ago

Incredible! Congrats!

• User
    16 years ago

That looks fantastic! Usually I don't care for St. Aug, but your lawn is beautiful.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

That's pretty nice yard! I like the way you landscaped your front yard rather than boring all grass lawn. That's what makes st Augustine such a great grass, no worrying about them taking over plant beds, etc like bermuda aka the devil grass.

Can you pull out Floratam runner? I want to see what they look like up close. I've read that the stolons are pretty thick. I've been trying to confirm whether if I have Floratam or not but no luck so far. Thanks.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Excellent Scoot cat. Another perfect example of an organically maintained lawn. Bill Hill

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

Great photos! Thanks for the explanations too. I was hoping you could run down the calendar and state when you apply all of the organic fertilizers. You mentioned the seaweed monthly (which one?), but when do you apply the others? Thanks!

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Your lawn looks marvelous.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the way you landscaped your front yard rather than boring all grass lawn.

Theres more plants to come, I just haven't had the time.

Can you pull out Floratam runner?

I'll try, its so intertwined.

I was hoping you could run down the calendar and state when you apply all of the organic fertilizers.

I dont really have a true plan. In spring I'll put down alfafa @ 25lbs and SBM @ 12lbs per 1000. Late spring/early summer SBM @ 15-20lbs per 1000. Summer Alfalfa and SBM @ 15-20lbs per 1000. Fall Corn Meal or Cracked Corn @ 20lbs per 1000 and Sulfate of Potash @ 1-2lbs per 1000. I throw Used Coffee ground about every couple months or so.(whenever I remember). S.A. is a warm season grass which actively grows in summer. In winter I may only mow once a month. Im not sure how this plan will work for cool season grasses.

You mentioned the seaweed monthly (which one?)

I use a soluble seaweed powder, you mix 2 tbs per gallon and it covers 1000sqft. I only spray seaweed during the growing season in the evening. I really like The results, it turns the grass dark green by the next day. But, I might discontinue as it takes so long to apply using a 1 gallon pump sprayer.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

Is it possible to spray the seaweed with the hose with one of those attachments? That seems like it might be easier somewhat.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

Really good results. Congrats.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

I use ortho dial to spray seaweed, molasses, etc. MUCH FASTER..

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

lou_midlothian_tx - just curiuos, what do you set your Ortho on for some of those application settings? I have one too, but get a bit confused with some of these package recomendations, and most will just give a sprayer mix amount.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

I usually use 2 oz rate spray but i go by how much are in the container per 1000 sqft regardless of the rate for spraying. If the bottle says at the rate of 4 oz per gallon, it would just suck up too quickly before I could spray on certain amount of area so I just stick with 2 oz per gallon rate.

For an example, if you need to spray 2 oz of liquid molasses per 1000 sqft and i know my backyard is around 2500 sqft so I put in 5 oz (plus 5 oz of apple cider vinegar to help thin out thick molasses), I just spray the entire lawn till i run out and move on to the front yard and repeat.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is it possible to spray the seaweed with the hose with one of those attachments?

It is possible and I started off using the Ortho. Then, after some research on Foliar Feeding I found that it is more beneficial to the plant when applied as a fine mist. (increased nutrient uptake)

Now, remember I only have 4000sqft total. First, I grab a Corona, squeeze in a lime, then fill up my sprayer with my seaweed solution and Im off. When its time to refill the sprayer its time for another Corona. It takes me about 2 hours total to do 4000sqft.

Now, I wouldn't apply it this way to an acre. Id be too drunk to finish. ha ha!

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Alright, thanks Lou. I've been using the 2-oz setting also. I noticed anything more and I can't keep up fast enough before it's empty. Also found that sometimes it won't engage the suction, so whatever I'm spraying I like to have something white in there so I can be sure it's working. I went around the whole yard before I realized that dadgum thing wasn't sucking in the container contents last weekend and had go over it all again.

• skoot_cat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must give credit where credit is do.

I learned everything I know about Organic Lawn Care from all the knowledge people on this site. I started at the Organic Lawn Care FAQ and read it several time. I still use it for reference. I read a lot of past post, asked a lot of question, learned from my mistakes and made some modifications. I also take full advantage of my Local Extension office and their website. Theres not much on organics but you can get a ton of info about your turf species.

I understand with the organic approach that there is no "quick fix" and I am ok with that. My lawn has some weeds in it and I either pull them by hand or leave them be. I have a few small areas in my back yard that were eaten/partial eaten by Sod Web. Nothing a little compost cant fix. I also had gray leaf spot in a few areas, I let it be, the problem went away.

If you notice a problem area and it isn't effected badly, Monitor it, Make sure its not spreading and it might take care of itself. If you notice the areas spreading or getting worse its time to take action, come here and ask questions.

I still feel the most Important approach to Organic Lawn Care is:

1. Mulch Mow at the highest recommended height for your grass type.

2. Always use a sharp balanced blade.

3. Mow often.

4. Water deeply 3/4-1" and infrequently, or when 30-50% of your grass shows signs of stress/wilting. (Example: Once or Twice a week in summer, and whenever the lawn needs it in winter.)

5. Only water in the early morning hours. After 2am.

• mbalba
    15 years ago

Excellent lawn,
    I live in Central Florida (Merritt Island)
    and would love to convert over to Organic Lawn Care.
    Havent used a lawn service for about a year now.
    Have read about SBM and Alfalfa, Black Strap Molasses ETC
    But wher can all this be obtained??? is there a comercial product?????????

• jimnyo
    14 years ago

"I dont really have a true plan. In spring I'll put down alfafa @ 25lbs and SBM @ 12lbs per 1000. Late spring/early summer SBM @ 15-20lbs per 1000. Summer Alfalfa and SBM @ 15-20lbs per 1000. Fall Corn Meal or Cracked Corn @ 20lbs per 1000 and Sulfate of Potash @ 1-2lbs per 1000. I throw Used Coffee ground about every couple months or so.(whenever I remember). S.A. is a warm season grass which actively grows in summer. In winter I may only mow once a month. Im not sure how this plan will work for cool season grasses."

1. what does sulfate of potash do?
    2. by "fall" do you mean around labor day or do you mean a little later, like veteran's day?
    3. what does cornmeal or cracked corn do? do you ever use corn gluten meal?

thanks so much!