Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ls3c6

Lawn went dormant/brown AFTER it got through the tough summer?!

ls3c6
12 years ago

Throughout the entire season I used the scott's 4 step program, mowed @ 3" typically twice a week, made sure the lawn received 1.0-1.5" of water each week and it looked absolutely great the entire year... even during prolonged weeks of 90-100f temps.

AS SOON as the temps got optimal mid-late august the grass must have thought it was winter or something, everything got yellow/brown (as did all the neighbor's lawns in varying states of maintenance)... I tried more water, did nothing, aerated on sept 1, nothing... mowing freqency had went from once every 3 days to once every 8 days. My lawn's mostly KBG/PR here in West MI and when it's healthy it's a chore to keep cut!

So baffled and disappointed, I went ahead and laid the Scott's step 4 on Sunday the 18th and to my surprise, by Tuesday it is greening up again and looks 5x better... what gives?

I'm hiring a very reputable lawn care company to do my fertilizing next year, they do 6 applications per year instead of scott's 4 and when you do the math, it's the same price considering you get 2 more apps and i'm thinking 4 just doesn't cut it here if you're super anal about having your lawn very green thick and lush under all conditions through the whole year except winter.

Since i've already put down step 4 should I put something more down say thanksgiving-ish time? Should I leave @ 3" for the last cut?

thanks!

Comments (2)