Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timnz_gw

Help improving lawn quality

timnz
10 years ago

Hi all,

New member here, nice to find a forum with people who know something about grass and lawns :)

I'd really appreciate some advice on improving my lawn. I've replanted it again and I'm on my third lawn in 5 years, the old one got grass grub and was too far gone to save, and another was an inappropriate type of grass - it looked like a field. The current lawn's ok, a little patchy in that it grows ok most places, but there are a dozen spots where it's greener and grows really well. There are also spots between a cm and 10cm across with no grass growing at all. There are quite a few leaves spread across it, and dogs seem to like using my lawn as a toilet, and I have no idea how to stop them. I'd really like to rejuvenate it and have a really nice lawn.

I'm in New Zealand, we're just going into Spring. I have a lawn made of fine turf ryegrass and fine fescue. The lawn base is clay type soil, with 10-20cm of good soil over the top, though some of the clay seems to have made its way up. There's good drainage through the lawn, but water pools when it's raining hard. The lawn was planted late summer (around 6 months ago), but due to a drought right after I planted it had a hard and slow start. I think I seeded well though, everything was raked flat, seed spread, then raked in.

I put down organic pellet fertilizer twice a year - it has manure, seaweed, blood and bone, etc. I put down some artificial fertilizer occasionally as well. I've also put down something called "clay breaker".

The lawn seems very hard and quite compact. In places it seems like moss is growing. The tips of the grass were going brown/yellow, but a cut seems to have bought it back - I cut on the highest setting. In general it gets good sun for part of the day, but not all day. Some small parts don't get much sun, or for only limited times during the day.

I'd like to throw out some new seed to help it take off, but the soil's so hard I wonder if it'd take. I considered core aeration, but I read here that people don't really rate that is necessary all the time.

Can anyone give me some tips? Hopefully I'll work out how to add more pictures.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (17)

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a close-up of the lawn in a patch that's growing quite well

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a closeup of a bare patch, with tiny plants growing in it

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo of a bare patch

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Spring is not the time to seed. If you seed now, you will bring up all the summer weed seeds. Crabgrass is the big one here, and I'm sure, there, too. When you do seed, the idea is to make the turf more dense with grass plants. Your rye and fescue grass grows as individual plants. A grass like Kentucky bluegrass spreads out and fills in thin areas. That might be worth overseeding for you next fall, but it only grows in full sun. If you have half a day of shade, it won't work great for you. KBG also goes dormant in the winter. Depending on where you are in NZ, it might remain green all year.

You can soften your hard soil with shampoo. Any clear shampoo will do. I like generic baby shampoo from Walmart. Shampoo is a surfactant which will penetrate the soil and allow water to penetrate much deeper. If you apply at a rate of 10 cc per 10 square meters, then water it deeply with 3 cm of water, and repeat that in 2 weeks (do you have metric calendars?), your soil should be significantly softer when you irrigate. You don't have to worry about using too much shampoo. One of the gurus on another forum tried it using 20 cc per square meter every week and had no problems. But 10cc is enough. Anyway shampoo works by moderating the soil moisture. It creates a soil environment which is great for the beneficial fungi your soil needs. Once those fungi have repopulated the soil, it will become soft when moist and hard again when dry. The two shampoo treatments have lasted me since 2011. Once you try the shampoo, you'll forget all about core aeration. Core aeration is a way for landscapers to make their boat payments. You can buy expensive surfactants designed for golf courses, but shampoo works very well.

Don't use clay breaker unless you have a soil test which recommends it. NZ/AU might have good soil tests but I know that Logan Labs in Ohio has a great one for $20. Of course let them know where you live and what you're growing.

Find a feed store that sells alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). It should come in plain, 20-kilo bags. Apply at a rate of 10 kilos per 100 square meters. Moisten the pellets after you apply so they will swell up and burst. Then rake them into the soil or simply drag a hose across them so they fall down to the soil. Give that 3 full weeks to work. You can repeat that as often as you can afford. And I would suggest you use it now and in a month just get started. That same guru tried overdosing his lawn with organic ferts and could not do that, either. 10 kilos per 100 is a start, but you could go to 80 kilos per 100 before smothering the lawn with too much love. It's up to your budget. The alfalfa should green up the lawn and get it growing. If all you have is rye grass, that's all the alfalfa will do. In order to improve the density, you'll have to wait until next fall.

You should be watering about 3 cm, once per month this time of year. Here's a chart for you. It is based on daily high temperatures.

Above 35 degrees C ==> water 3 cm once per week
    25 to 35 ==> once every 2 weeks
    20 to 25 ==> once every 3 weeks
    Less than 20 ==> once per month

Of course Mother Nature will help you out sometimes so you won't need to water the full amount every time.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention how to measure 3 cm for your watering. We have cat food and tuna cans which are about 3 cm tall. Put several of those out in the lawn and turn on your sprinkler or sprinkler system. Measure how long it takes to fill all the cans. That is the time you're looking for to get 3 cm.

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for those tips, very helpful! I'll get some of that alfalfa and give it a go. Nice easy tip on watering volumes and baby shampoo too.

Curious why seeding at the start of spring isn't helpful? There are a lot of empty patches, I've laid seed in the spring before and it grew fine. The cost of seed isn't an issue, if I lay some in spring and it doesn't take I'll just lay more in Autumn anyway.

Any idea what those tiny plants are growing in the bare patches? They're often only 2-5mm high. I'd probably give the lawn empty patches a bit of a rake to try to disturb the surface before I lay and seed, plus that would get rid of some of the leaves.

Thanks again for the tips :)

• andy10917
    10 years ago

The problem with Spring seedings is twofold --(1) the Summer heat comes quickly and is tougher on young grass than winter cold, and (2) the watering needed to properly germinate grasses is also the perfect conditions for weed growth, exactly when weeds are ready to germinate -- and you can't then use many weedkillers because of the seedlings.

It looks like your "tiny plants" are probably in the moss family. The slimy blue/green stuff underneath them is most likely Cyanobacteria, which is also called "blue/green algae" although it is not an algae.

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I treat the lawn with something to get rid of the algee, moss, or fugus type stuff growing there?

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I treat the lawn with something to get rid of the algee, moss, or fugus type stuff growing there?

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

The shampoo, infrequent watering, and your normal organic fertilizer should help.

• timnz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the repeated message, not sure what happened there. I'll try the suggestions, thank you for your help.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Please let us know how it comes out. We rarely get international posts here.